PDA

View Full Version : Clearing Debris

Scott99
01-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi, I was wondering if there's a method that is safe for the coins on clearing debris to see the actual coin better? I see a lot of peoples pictures and the pennies are rather clean, while some of mine has green spots.. or black spots that just look like dirt or similar. The pic is an example of what I'm talking about (green stuff). Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

DoubleYou
01-25-2011, 08:39 PM
I don't think so, although BadThad might have something to say about VerdiCare.

Wendell

JeanK
01-25-2011, 10:39 PM
I often 'clean', or as I prefer to say 'conserve' coins like the one in your picture. Sometimes I figure it won't do any harm to clean up a nasty coin to see what is under all that stuff. VerdiCare works very good for the verdigris (green stuff). Depending on how the corrosion has penetrated the surface of the coin removing verdigris can leave a dark spot no matter how it is cleaned/conserved.
Some of us also us 'Goo-Gone', which can help remove different kinds of gunk and dirt.
And, I confess, I often use a soft boars hair short bristled paint brush to help clean up the dirt.
If I were planning to sell the coins I would not do anything that would change their raw status.
Jean

Roller
01-26-2011, 04:58 AM
I use a soft toothbrush and soap and water. A gentle brushing will get the loose stuff off. When its just crud (dirt, grease) there is no better way (in my experience) than to boil the coin in soapy water for aminute or so and if necessary follow up with the tooth brush. This gets most of the stuff in the crevices. When I boil, I place the coin in a metal sive that fits in the pot but does not touch the bottom; this keeps the coin from coming in contact with the pan that is just milimeters from the heat source. The green stuff, once imbedded is there to stay (even if it changes in color from "preservatives"). I don't use them but think its a good idea to arrest the further spread by cleaning it off the surface with "preservatives". Just my humble.

Scott99
01-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks! I will try some of those on some really dirty, face-valued, coins.