PDA

View Full Version : 1955S Lincoln Cent Obv. Grease Filled Die

MrWizard
07-01-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't remember how I obtained this coin, but I eventually sent it to a grading service. I have attached images of the coin. I am curious as to the mintage and whether the grading service is correct as to the error. Any help or advice wouldbe greatly appreciated.

Shingpumps
07-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Hard to tell from the pics, but if you are talking about what looks like a ring towards the outer area of the coin it could be a heavy greased die. Does the coin itself have a different finish on it in this area? If you could get bigger pics or try to explain what you see we might be able to help more.

MrWizard
07-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Yes. I'll try to focus on the areas that show the non-filled area and post the scans. The reflection from the glass of the scanner often produces dark areas. Thanks.

MrWizard
07-01-2008, 02:58 PM
I tried to scan in the small, dark areas and lighten the image. The surfaces are definitely not flat--they appear to be like small cracks and some appear to be pits. Near the "E" in One appears to be like the flow of a river or stream. This is quite interesting to see these marks and so many of them on a single coin.

Shingpumps
07-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Are the marks flowing in an outward direction? If so it is most likely struck through heavy grease. The grease probaly had debri (pieces of metal and sand) in it also. I wish you could get better pics.

DWK
07-04-2008, 09:35 AM
In your picture I don't se the word WE. If its missing that could be the grease filled area.