PDA

View Full Version : I can't quite tell

lara4228
03-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Here are the best pics I could generate. From what I could surmise, the latin words seem doubled, also note the top of the building, it looks as if it *may* show doubling or MD? Give your opinions please?

Thanks!

enamel7
03-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Looks like possibly MD.

jfines69
03-28-2011, 05:22 AM
Most of the pics are a little to blurry for me to tell but I do see what appears to be (On the 2nd pic) a split on the lower corner of the "E"... I hope the pros chime in!!!

hasfam
03-28-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm not seeing MD or doubling. just too blurry for my old eyes. Also, I'm sure everyone already knows this, but when looking at an bright uncirculated coin under the scope, if the lighting is not adjusted right there can be an optical illusion of doubling created. I'm not saying this is the case here, but looking at the light bouncing off the sides of the letters reminded me of that.

Rock

jcuve
03-28-2011, 12:15 PM
What I don't see is notches and that is the one thing I should see. It could be MD, but like Rock I don't see anything specific.

lara4228
03-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Darn it!!! You know what? I can't even make out if there are notches or not. I really don't like looking at this part of the penny :{
sorry to vent everyone. Its just that sometimes this can be so frustrating and I hate looking like a fool to everybody. Lights or no lights I still can't tell.

It looks at though the E may have notching, but the rest are not as easy to tell. It also seems to appear as if there is extra metal on the E, the P and the U. It seems to be more metal strewn throughout the memorial too. Not to mention stupid marks from being hit.

mustbebob
03-28-2011, 05:20 PM
The first thing you gotta do Lara, is not get frustrated. We realize you are still a relative newcomer to the hobby, and we certainly don't look at our members as being fools. Education is the name of the game.
A valuable lesson here may be that once in a while, you put the coin aside for a couple of days. Then have another look at it. If you can't find what you thought you had in the first place, it is probably not worth pursuing it any further.

lara4228
03-28-2011, 05:26 PM
LOL Bob, I know and I thank you for your words of wisdom. I've had a bad day and I think that perhaps tonight may not be a wise time to start to critiquing coins. This is the first utterly frustrating day I've taken home with me and into my new found hobby.

I thought of just tossing the coin, but then again, I thought again because there is no info on what I think I may be seeing.

I'll set it aside for now and what until my eyes, emotions and temper cools down a bit.

copperlover
03-28-2011, 06:33 PM
I can understand your frustation Laura. You never know when a coin can fool you under incorrect lighting. I hope there are notches on this coin but it is real hard to see.

Lucien