PDA

View Full Version : Error Filled Die | Die Error

Pat
11-20-2007, 07:01 PM
From my understanding this error is cause by grease in the die?

Steven
12-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Couple of possibilities I suppose. Grease filled or post mint damage flattening out the device. Do you think this may have been the only example of a 43S copper:angel:
Steven

Pat
12-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Couple of possibilities I suppose. Grease filled or post mint damage flattening out the device. Do you think this may have been the only example of a 43S copper:angel:
Steven

Wouldn't that be nice.. One could deduce that line being long could be the 3. There is absolutely no trace of any last digit from 10x - 200x and all possible angles.. It's just not there..

car10
12-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Possibly somebodys abandoned attempt at a counterfeit '43S copper. It looks like the last digit had been flattened out.

Pat
12-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Here's a question.. Is that stuff dirt or some other substance around the date. I'm just curious and say when dealing with key dates should I attempt to clean that dirt off or leave it as is?

Steven
12-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Most would say leave it alone don't clean it. There are some so packed around the date and MM you wouldn't know what you had unless you uncovered it and for that some will use Goo Gone in an attempt to remove it and at the same time attempting not to damage the coin. I will put one to the test with before and after photos to show what it would look like if I can find a coin to try this with.
Steven

Pat
12-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Most would say leave it alone don't clean it. There are some so packed around the date and MM you wouldn't know what you had unless you uncovered it and for that some will use Goo Gone in an attempt to remove it and at the same time attempting not to damage the coin. I will put one to the test with before and after photos to show what it would look like if I can find a coin to try this with.
Steven

I would probably try acetone or Koinsolv before attempting Goo Gone.. That's stuff is powerful.. :) I heard a wood toothpick would hurt the coin either. But bottom line how much does dirt like that at 10x affect the price of the coin? I mean naked eye it's barely noticible.

Steven
12-22-2007, 06:52 PM
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/stevenbingham/PICT2369.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/stevenbingham/PICT2365.jpg

car10
12-22-2007, 06:55 PM
Wow, now SEGS would grade that MS70.

Shingpumps
12-22-2007, 06:56 PM
That was pretty funny.

Pat
12-22-2007, 07:00 PM

:LOL_Hair:

Steven
12-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Usually a thread that promotes any type of cleaning gets some negative feedback but sometimes if the coin is so covered with gunk you may just want to know what is there. Depending on what material is packed around the devices could be a reason not to attempt this. If the material is granular you may end up scratching the heck out of your coin. For the most part I would have to say, and especially with any key dates, leave it as it is.
Just an opinion.

Steven

car10
12-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Usually a thread that promotes any type of cleaning gets some negative feedback but sometimes if the coin is so covered with gunk you may just want to know what is there. Depending on what material is packed around the devices could be a reason not to attempt this. If the material is granular you may end up scratching the heck out of your coin. For the most part I would have to say, and especially with any key dates, leave it as it is.
Just an opinion.

Steven

I agree with you Steven. Even though the results look good that is not to say you won't see some strange things happen to this coin with the passage of time. Don't clean 'em.