PDA

View Full Version : 1955 slabbed coin

JeanK
04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Okay, here is a fun one for everyone to check out. Please forgive the in-slab pictures as they are the best I can do.
First, this is a 1955 P NGC MS 66 RD slabbed Lincoln. There is no mention of a variety on the slab. I figure if the previous owner had known about this coin being a variety they probably would have had it slabbed accordingly. Or... perhaps this coin is/was not yet listed.

I have checked on coppercoins.com, and other sites to see if I can positively identify the ddr and came up with only 1955P-1DO-001 Class 6 doubled die reverse. The listing also states this is coupled with the 1955P-1DO-004 Class 6 doubled die obverse. I am hoping that is true for my new coin.

Question, if it is or is not the correct attribution, is there anyone who could attribute the coin while it is still in the holder? If it can be attributed would it increase the value?
The price I paid for the coin is considerably less than the 59.00 to 70.00 dollars being asked on ebay. I cannot find any example on the PCGS Collectors Corner to compare going prices at this time.

Thank you ever so much for checking this post.
Jean

mustbebob
04-07-2011, 03:33 AM
Jean, It can still be attributed while it is in the slab. However, if you want the slab to reflect the attribution, it will have to be re-submitted. It is not uncommon to have a variety in a slab that does not note it. I am not so sure that the value would increase.

jfines69
04-07-2011, 04:33 AM
Even without the attribution that's one nice coin!!!

RWBILLER
04-07-2011, 06:54 AM
It's a nice find either way
You deserve it
Roger

JeanK
04-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Thank you Bob, Jim and Roger.

This prompted me to join NGC's free membership to be able to check the coin's registry and it appears to be real. And, that lends itself to several more questions.

If I have the coin attributed privately by one of our nice attributors here at LCR, would it be best to break it out of the slab? If I do this will NGC re-slab my coin with the attribution information sent to them?

Does NGC attribute coins and re-slab them? (of course, I know there will be a fee).

Thank you all again for helping me with some 'newbie' questions about things I have not yet learned.

Jean

lineop3
04-07-2011, 11:53 AM
I say what's the harm in breaking the slab if you're going to have it re-submitted to say it's a DDR.
I would think the price would go up knowing it's a DDR. (IMHO).
By the way...BEAUTIFUL coin sista!

Aisha

JeanK
04-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Thank you little sista.
I think I better leave it as is until I get it attributed. This is going to take more patience than I might have left in me... :)
Jean

mustbebob
04-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I will leave this one for someone who sends coins in for variety attributions. I am not sure if you need to submit all the info, or if they will attribute it themselves. I also don't know which number they may want to use. Brad, Chris, Roger??? Any idea?