PDA

View Full Version : Circulated

lineop3
04-17-2011, 05:23 PM
It's been around the block a couple of times.
Just to let you know there could be better specimens out there.

Aisha

hasfam
04-17-2011, 06:47 PM
I see some MD and nothing else. The DDR's I usually find on the wheats of that era are either class VI or Class II, not to say other Class DDR's aren't out there, but those are the 2 type classes I find most. Your coin doesn't show either of those. Again, all I see is MD.
Rock

copperlover
04-17-2011, 07:10 PM
I agree. Again I am not seeing signs of a DDR. It seems to display MD. Thanks again for sharing.

Lucien

jfines69
04-18-2011, 05:12 AM
I hate to disagree with the pros but I zoomed in at 400% (Execellent photos) and I see DDR... The "B" is notched (Top left)... The seperation dots are elongated... I also see seperation on some of the letters "E", "LUR" and the 1st "U" of UNUM... I know I'm no pro but that sis what I can see... Looks like a send in for verification!!!

hasfam
04-18-2011, 05:47 AM
Jim, I blew it up too and all I'm seeing it die deterioration, slight mechanical doubling and dings from wear. There also seems to be, ever so slight though, extra thickness on the bottom of the letters E P L U R which may indicate a Class VI DD, however I'm not convinced that this is not just a normal worn die. Of course, your recommendation for Aisha to send it in for verification is probably best if there is any doubt. I wouldn't want her to lose out.
Sorry Aisha for talking about you here in the 3rd party. haha
Rock

lineop3
04-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Fellas, it could be my eyes but can you see the sort of "long dots" in the motto?
They're pretty minor but there.

Aisha

jfines69
04-18-2011, 03:15 PM
I saw the one between the "E" and "P" and that's what made me look closer... Would be nice if it turns out to be a DD!!!

mustbebob
04-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Jim,
Just a little bit of advice. If you need to enlarge anything to 400X, it is not worth it. Good varieties should be visible at 10X magnification. You can't expect other searchers to see through a loupe, or even some scopes, what you are seeing at 400X. Circulated coinage will most always have some sort of dings, notches, scratches etc. that will look like something exciting at 400X magnification. Look for the obvious, and remember a good rule of thumb, if you see a notch or thickness on only one letter, or number, chances are it is not a doubled die. There are a couple of exceptions to that, and those are the letters R on TRUST, and AMERICA. Those are different because of the alignment of the devices that follow the criteria for class 2 doubled dies.
Don't look too hard Jim. You'll find them out there.

jcuve
04-18-2011, 05:26 PM
hmmmmmm....

jfines69
04-19-2011, 05:24 AM
I am over analyzing again... Now I know why analyze has the word anal in it... LOL... Thank you very much Bob... You help keep me straight!!!

lineop3
04-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Jim you are sooo silly!!!

Aisha