View Full Version : I do not believe this is PMD!

hemisboats
04-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Looking closely with a 15x loop This does not look like post mint damage. What do you think?

jcuve
04-20-2011, 02:37 PM
I believe your coin was struck through a partial filled (grease) die. The reverse shows a greasy ghost of Lincoln as that region is the area receiving the least force during the strike (the open cavity of Lincoln's profile on the obverse die creates less force during the strike) and the grease migrates to that region. Always a nice find.

Roller
04-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Nice find; check it for RDV 006.

hemisboats
04-20-2011, 03:06 PM
Nice find; check it for RDV 006.
Can you explain the details to look for?
Thanks

Roller
04-20-2011, 03:38 PM
You need to look at the designer's initials but it would be much easier to advise if we can see a close-up of the initials. You can find the info on this at this iste in the archives. As a matter of fact, there is a post about two of them (1988's) being found in one roll posted today.

JeanK
04-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Unfortunately, I think you will find this problem with lots of coins, being struck through grease. It is one I would put aside though.
It would be great if your coin turned out to be an RDV-006 and be in such beautiful condition as this one.
Jean

coinman2009
04-20-2011, 05:00 PM
What a nice looking coin!!!:~:~

mikediamond
04-21-2011, 05:38 AM
I see no evidence that the coin was struck through grease. The faint outline of Lincoln on the reverse appears to be the result of die deterioration. It's a case of progressive, indirect design transfer ("design transfer", "internal metal displacement phenomenon"). A faint outline of Lincoln's bust is gradually transferred to the reverse die through the medium of hundreds of thousands of planchets. Any weakness in STATES is likely due to this word being opposite the area of highest relief on the obverse face -- the top of Lincoln's head. Effective striking pressure is lowest here.

jcuve
04-21-2011, 10:11 PM
I think I see IMDP, but I would swear from the photos (which of course are not mine) there is a small amount of grease on the die leaving dull patches from the blank on both the obverse and reverse. I feel like the more coins I look at, the more I see small amounts of grease, especially on the reverse die interfering with the strike. I could also be wrong and misinterpreting the information in the photos, in which case, die wear in the form of IMDP is the most likely culprit. I would make a beer bet on this one - either win a beer or buy a beer LOL.

hemisboats
04-23-2011, 02:38 AM
I think I see IMDP, but I would swear from the photos (which of course are not mine) there is a small amount of grease on the die leaving dull patches from the blank on both the obverse and reverse. I feel like the more coins I look at, the more I see small amounts of grease, especially on the reverse die interfering with the strike. I could also be wrong and misinterpreting the information in the photos, in which case, die wear in the form of IMDP is the most likely culprit. I would make a beer bet on this one - either win a beer or buy a beer LOL.

Jcuve
I agree with the fact there are a large number of these in the 88-p series. I saw about 15 them yesterday while roll searching; they were not as pronounced as this one.

:tinysmile_hmm_t2: