PDA

View Full Version : Question for attributers

hasfam
04-27-2011, 03:15 AM
Here is a hypothetical question for anyone who attributes varieties.
Let's say someone posts a find they think is potentially a doubled die. Let's also assume the photos are clear and well focused.
There have been occassions when someone will recognize the potential but will say that it needs an in hand examination.
My 1st question is, what will an in hand examination reveal that the photo won't?
2nd, is it to see if the anomolies are a result of wear opposed to being created thru the hubbing process?
3rd, if that is the case, then what do you look for when you have it in hand to make that determination that you couldn't see in a photo?
I guess I was just thinking about all the times I would read in a thread that a coin needed to be seen in person to make a determination and what is it that makes the difference.
Thanks

mustbebob
04-27-2011, 03:26 AM
Rock, The main reason for in hand examinations is to verify what you MAY be seeing on the photo. A pic is two dimensional, whereas an in hand exam enables you to see everything. If I have the coin in hand, it enables me to turn to coin to ensure the anomaly is not related to a lighting issue as well. ( we all know how lighting can make devices look doubled). Also, it gives us a chance to match it against known varieties in our files to determine if it might be a different die, die state, or marker progression.
There really are tons of reasons to request an in hand exam. I would rather not put my reputation on the line by not verifying something I may have said about a pic. Before doing an in hand exam, I should always caveat my statement saying that it is an opinion unless I am 100% sure of the attribution, or I have seen it in hand.

hasfam
04-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Thanks Bob. Great answer. And you are so right about deceptive lighting.

eaxtellcoin
04-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Hey Rock,
Bob stressed this above and I wanted to add: For RPM's: A picture only offer's position that is relevent to the date. Unless there is that one marker, in the pic; that would positivly I.D. the coin, a pic at best is a trained guess.
Most coin varieties can be narrowed down from say: 1960-D 100+ listed RPM's to just a handfull by being very carefull with date/mintmark relationship-position and easy marker's such as extra serifs.
The last handfull of posibilities is where you need an in hand examination. Marker's are key sometimes in referencing a die state OBV or REV. That will help you I.D. which coin variety it is. Sometimes a coin will be listed or not listed all because of one marker that was strong enouph for both die stages.
One or Two pics will not usually show this! Eric :D

hasfam
04-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Great answer as well Eric.
Thanks you both for sharing some good common sense and insight.