View Full Version : Found 1972 Die#4 reverse

hasfam
05-12-2011, 10:52 AM
I've really been enjoying all the excitment going on around here lately. Lots of wonderful new people and wonderful new discoveries going on. I was content with that, but got a nice little gift out of a roll early this morning and thought I'd share.
It's definately a die #4 reverse. Don't know what to make of the obverse. Not sure which stage it is either. I have lots of photos too, just for fun.
Thanks for looking.

dvn
05-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Rock,

No doubt about it. It is Stage (C) (non-DDO) in my files and Stage (D) in Wexler's. Congrats on your very nice find and thanks for sharing. It is exciting to see others getting in on the action!

Regards,
Billy (dvn)

hasfam
05-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks Billy. It is exciting. And thanks for the confirmation.

duck620
05-12-2011, 11:26 AM
CONGRATS Rock! Great find.
ken.

coin-crazy
05-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Cool find rock..Congratz.I love all the excitement too around here..Im going to the bank now to pick up a brick..
Im one that dont like picking up bank bricks!!..lol

Maineman750
05-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Very cool find ! I've setting aside my 72's now that I saw the post on these...if somebody pays for them, I'll certainly look for them :)

RWBILLER
05-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Billy
I have a die4 reverse with the obverse that has master doubling with a strong obverse strike - what stage is it?
Thx
Roger

DoubleYou
05-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Great find!

Roger, both stages D and E have master die doubling. There is also a Stage F noted on Billy's page, but he I'm not sure if it has the master die obverse or not (can't find the information right now). Since you say yours is a strong strike, it most likely is stage D, as stage E is mushy. Of course, these are Crawford stages. Up it a letter for Wexler's stages.

RWBILLER
05-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks Wendell
Roger

koinmon
05-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Rock nice find thanks for shareing.
George

dvn
05-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Roger,

Wendell has it correct for you. Sounds like a (D). And he has it correct also in that whatever my stage letter just up it one letter and you will have Wexler's stage.

If any is wondering why the one letter stage difference between Wexler and me is that Wexler has an additional stage as follows:

His Stage (B) has a single-rim cud.

Then Wexler's Stage (C) has the full-blown rim cuds. As far as I'm aware of, Wexler is the only one who has examined that single-rim cud. Gosh, that would really have to be a hard one to find wouldn't it??? It would not take too many strikes and it would start getting more and more rim cuds.

And yes, my Stage (F) Wexler Stage (G) which is the last stage I have listed so far, the obverse still exhibits the master die doubling but it is extremely mushy as well as the reverse is just about gone. The Mint got their money's worth on that reverse die that kept striking coinage thru all the various stages of the obverse die.

Billy (dvn)

JeanK
05-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Very cool find Rock! You keep up the good works and blessings will happen! :tinysmile_twink_t:
Jean

jcuve
05-13-2011, 01:54 AM
Awesome find Rock!

jfines69
05-13-2011, 05:29 AM
Rock is a Rockin'... LOL... Congrats on an awesome find!!!

RWBILLER
05-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Billy
Thanks for clearing that up - I agree with your analysis - I think you have handled alot more die4's than anyone I know!
Thx
Roger