PDA

View Full Version : Almost finished with the dates of 1969s

Brown78
05-18-2011, 10:12 AM
a few more to go i hope you like Billy....

dvn
05-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Brown, thanks for shooting some more photos of your 1969-S coins. The photos are getting better and better.

The reason why I asked last night to reshoot some photos on your 1969-S was that in one of the photos it looked like I saw something but couldn't tell if maybe it was shadows.

From what I see in these photos they look Ok and I don't see any doubling. Possible some MD but I'm not detecting any genuine hub doubling.

I suspect there are a few collectors that are not aware that there is another DDO on the 1969-S cents other than the well-known major DDO#1 that is pretty much naked-eye visible.

This little known second DDO for the 1969-S has proven to be rather difficult to locate and the reason why might be because of two things. One being few are aware of it and the second that a collector may run across it and think that it's just another case of MDD. But it is not.

This second variety is assigned in my files as 1969-S 1c CDDO-002 and it is in John Wexler's files as WDDO-002. I'm not sure if it is in Coppercoins files and maybe Bob will chime in and let us know if they have it listed. It exhibits doubling of the digits "96" of the date to the northeast from a Class V and VIII pivoted and tilted hub doubling. Attached is a scan from my book, "A Detailed Analysis of Lincoln Cent Varieties 1909 - 2009" illustrating the variety along with its description and diagnostics.

I hope this little bit of information helps collectors and if any of you that were not aware of this second DDO you might want to take a second look at any of your 1969-S cents just to make sure.

If it helps one collector, then we have succeeded. After all, knowledge is power.

Regards,
Billy (dvn)

http://www.dvnmagazine.com/1969scddo002bookpage.jpg

jfines69
05-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Excellent photos Billy... How do we view the photos that you have of the various errors/varieties???