PDA

View Full Version : 1986 1c Doubled Earlobe

dvn
05-26-2011, 08:05 AM
With the recent news of the discovery of Christopher Beck's 1988 1c Major Doubled Ear variety (CDDO-008/WDDO-009/1DO-010/DDO-003) collectors and variety searchers are closely checking their coins.

This 1986 Lincoln cent, though certainly not as strong as Beck's variety, still exhibits rather significant doubling of the earlobe and is now assigned in my "C" files as 1986 1c CDDO-005. Are there more different ones waiting to be found? Time will tell and I recommend to especially examine all areas of the coin since we now know it can happen a couple of times on different years then it certainly could happen again.

We will have more surprises for you in the shortly upcoming June 2011 DVN #25 issue so stay tuned.

Good luck in your collecting and searching endeavors.

Regards,
Billy (dvn)

http://www.dvnmagazine.com/1986cddo005p1.jpg

http://www.dvnmagazine.com/1986cddo005p2.jpg

hasfam
05-26-2011, 08:13 AM
Thats really not to shabby of a doubled ear Billy. A pretty nice one. Kind of reminds me of the 1997 except not as strong. Was this your discovery? or has this one been around a while and again, I was oblivious to it?

1sgret
05-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Excellent Find Billy. I really like that one, Post some more..... CONGRATS!!!!

amosamos16
05-26-2011, 09:37 AM
i have to ask this dumb question on the bottom pic is the overlay, on the over lay on all of these doubled die ear lobes why is it that the bottom tip is always the only device that is doubled? how even from the overlay can you decern its not just a well place die chip? its just a question i have been wondering for awhile. i find this on quite a few coins and always thought it was just a chip, unless it was extremly pronounced. maybe i have been a fool and disguarding them? any advice or comments would be great!

lineop3
05-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Alright Billy...I'm gonna call you "Inspector" b/c you don't let one clue get by you.
BY JOVE I THINK HE'S GOT IT...AGAIN!!! :)

Aisha

dvn
05-26-2011, 09:57 AM
i have to ask this dumb question on the bottom pic is the overlay, on the over lay on all of these doubled die ear lobes why is it that the bottom tip is always the only device that is doubled? how even from the overlay can you decern its not just a well place die chip? its just a question i have been wondering for awhile. i find this on quite a few coins and always thought it was just a chip, unless it was extremly pronounced. maybe i have been a fool and disguarding them? any advice or comments would be great!

No such thing as a dumb question and actually you ask an important question.

However, it is difficult to give you a definitive answer and the reason why is not being able to see what you might have been dismissing as a die chip. On the 1986 the raised remnants are smooth, rounded and follow the contour of the primary earlobe whereas a die chip are in most cases irregular in appearance.

What I recommend is first, if you are not sure of what you see on the coin then put it aside. I would also recommend posting some images of it on the forum and go from there?

Billy (dvn)

dvn
05-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Alright Billy...I'm gonna call you "Inspector" b/c you don't let one clue get by you.
BY JOVE I THINK HE'S GOT IT...AGAIN!!! :)

Aisha

Thanks, just doing a little CSI = Coin Scene Inspector

One thing I do want to add. Make sure to also not just check at the ear. Do yourself a favor and closely examine the surrounding area AROUND the ear especially within the hair detail. There could be remnants of a doubled ear lurking and the hair detail could easily camouflage those doubled ear remnants.

Billy (dvn)

copperlover
05-26-2011, 10:40 AM
I have seen some 1990-99 coins with very thick hair and it sounds as if doubling may be in this area. I'll try to find one and post it sometime. Billy may be leading us to search this area thoroughly. I agree that there may be many coins that are not showing the doubled lobe below the ear but displaying it elsewhere. Take nothing for granted.

Lucien

coinman2009
05-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Nice Coin! Great Info!:)

Wayne
05-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Excellent DDO....Nice Find...Congrats

dvn
05-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Take nothing for granted.

Lucien

Amen to that Lucien.

Billy (dvn)

jfines69
05-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Way to go inspector B/C!!!

jcuve
05-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Very interesting - we're all on our toes now...

badredbrd89
05-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Great find Billy!
-Chris

lara4228
06-01-2011, 11:41 AM
Doing some quick research on the whole Doubled Ear Syndrome before I head out to work....Hubby hands me this 1994-P to look at and it appears to have the identical looking ear lobe as the on in this thread.

It also has BIG die chip in the B in LIB and I *think* a small die crack from W to rim (IGWT).

Reverse also seems to show some DDR'ing....I"ll leave that for another time.

Gotta run to work...