PDA

View Full Version : 1970S-1DO-003P Lamination Error

Eye.of.the.Sun
05-27-2011, 09:19 AM
I asked this question elsewhere , but have not received a reply.
I found this raw proof coin in a batch of 200+ that I got from eBay.
It is not in pristine condition as you can see by the carbon spots on the OBV & REV.
My question is concerning the lamination anomaly that runs from the "O" in GOD past the last "T" in TRUST.
It is very distinct from 11o'clock through 12o'clock.
I am wondering if this type of feature on a proof DDO would add or detract from it's numismatic value.
I have been unable to locate any EDS , MDS nor LDS die marker information to determine if this anomaly has been seen on this DDO variety previously.
Because of the carbon spots , I have decided not to send this to Wexler for attribution and am parting with it instead , in hopes of finding a better specimen eventually.

dvn
05-27-2011, 09:40 AM
On the specimen I examined and have illustrated in my DALCV 1909 - 2009 reference I did not see any distinguishing die markers.

As far as your question if it would add or detract from its numismatic value, in my opinion it would detract.

Regards,
Billy (dvn)

liveandievarieties
05-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Way cool, I like your question!

I think ultimately, it comes down to how the grading service (if and when slabbed) views it. PCGS often puts coins with planchet imperfections in Genuine holders, even when attribution and notation of the specific error is requested. But the lamination is rather small, it may not be harshly viewed by the attributer. It's really a crap shoot.

As a raw coin, I think it's possible to find a collector who appreciates the error type and who will pay the normal value of the coin. But I don't expect the lamination would bring a premium over the rare die variety. Were it a non-variety proof, I think it could bring a $10-20 premium as a normal proof with a lamination.

Interesting question and fun coin! Thanks.