PDA

View Full Version : 1997 D penny

Lavent
06-04-2011, 02:45 PM
I have a 1997 D penny with tiny bubbles on both sides of the penny. It looks like Lincoln has the chicken pox. Any answers. They are really noticable. The penny is clean as the day it was minted.

1sgret
06-04-2011, 03:23 PM
I have a 1997 D penny with tiny bubbles on both sides of the penny. It looks like Lincoln has the chicken pox. Any answers. They are really noticable. The penny is clean as the day it was minted.

I would really help if you can post a photo. Sounds to be a plating problem on the coin as best I can answer without seeing a picture of the coin on the obverse and reverse.

jfines69
06-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Pics would be nice if possible... It does sound as if there are alot of gas bubbles!!!

engine823
06-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the forum!! Sounds like gas trapped under the plating.

Lavent
06-05-2011, 05:46 AM
No camera to focus on small items. Does anyone know how to focus a digital camera for small items ?I will try and get a camera to take a picture. Do collectors like coins like this? I have a lot of error coins. trying to unload them.

Maineman750
06-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Lavent, if your camera has a little flower symbol, that would be the mode for close ups.I doubt the coin you have is collectable, but without pictures we can't say for certain.

jcuve
06-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Little flower icon = macro mode, just don't use the zoom as some cameras loose focus on small objects. Alternatively you can hold a loupe in front of the lens and try shoot close ups that way. Good luck...

The bubbles sound like Plating Blisters as found on plated Lincoln cents; they would appear to form from contaminants lying on the zinc under the plating that gas (thus expanding) from the heat during the strike.

And...Welcome to the forum!

Lavent
06-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Lavent, if your camera has a little flower symbol, that would be the mode for close ups.I doubt the coin you have is collectable, but without pictures we can't say for certain.

I have found the symbol. I will be submitting pictures.