PDA

View Full Version : whats your opinion on this one ?? not listed on coppercoins

shameless
06-05-2011, 11:47 PM
this one has a minor rpm and what looks like a whole other "d" that was lightly punched
its kinda hard to get a really good photo of it but i can see it clear in hand
this one is not listed on copper coins it has splits on both seriffs in photo 3
what do you think
thanks
co

shameless
06-05-2011, 11:49 PM
heres what im talking about

hasfam
06-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Colleen, the arrows are pointing to plating buildup.

jfines69
06-06-2011, 05:16 AM
I think I will disagree with Rock on this one... Don't hit me... LOL... I would think that plating build up would be in line with the MM that is there... This is rotated CW... I also see the minor split serifs... Very interesting coin and I hope one of the other pros chime in... My conclusion is a D/D with RPM... INP(I'm No Pro) though... Rock is though!!!

copperlover
06-06-2011, 06:49 AM
I am leaning towards Rock's call; this looks like build up of plating even though it shows slight rotation and the main D has both splits. I can not say that this without doubt an RPM. I have looked at several others and 1983 is noted for plating issues for the Denver coins. I may be wrong but that is what I am able to gather from all the facts that I have.

Lucien

dvn
06-06-2011, 06:53 AM
From the images I agree with Rock. Also what you point out within the loop of the primary "D" mintmark I believe is from a damaged punch. I have come across many of these, some in slightly different positions, within the loop.

I think I have one on my desk somewhere and if I can find it I'll shoot a quick photo on it and post.

edited to add: Found it, below is a pic of it.

Billy (dvn)

http://www.dvnmagazine.com/dmintmark.jpg

shameless
06-06-2011, 08:32 AM
thanks everybody
if it was not for that line in the center like that i would have thought plating and know that dvn has told me about the damaged punch it all makes since

thats why i post ones that im not sure about i know ill get the answer here :D
co

jfines69
06-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Well we can't be correct all the time... Oh wait... I haven't been correct yet... LOL... Glad the other pros chimed in!!!

liveandievarieties
06-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Interesting, I wrongly assumed that the vertical line was from the same cause as the SE shadow. I was seeing a shadow image from die erosion as an LDS example. Does the date look similar to the SE portion of the mintmark?

Lol, Billy's ridiculous! Of course he "just happens" to have and earlier die state of the same MM punch "lying on his desk". Really glad to read your posts DVN!