PDA

View Full Version : Strange post mint? penny

jilson
06-07-2011, 11:29 AM
I actually found this in a roll! If it is post mint, I wonder how it retained stretched features...

hasfam
06-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Clearly PMD. I used to work in a manufacturing plant. Lots of machinery capable of doing that.

Maineman750
06-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Strange that it actually fit in a roll. We were just discussing yesterday about how it would be nice to have a site that explains how many of the post mint damaged coins actually happen. Metal does stretch so I don't think it that unusual, but it is fun to think about how these things happen.Most experts concentrate only on what can happen at the mint,which makes sense.But sometimes inquiring minds want to know.

mustbebob
06-07-2011, 03:26 PM
That's the thing Roger. Post mint damage can be made in any number of ways, that it would be just about impossible to figure out who, what where, or why. We can all give educated guesses, but I'm afraid that would be about it unless someone took the time to destroy a few coins to see if they can duplicate a PMD'd coin.

jcuve
06-07-2011, 03:32 PM
I concur with Bob; you can guess, but you'll never know for sure with PMD, just too many variables...

graveyard_guy
06-07-2011, 04:37 PM
That's the thing Roger. Post mint damage can be made in any number of ways, that it would be just about impossible to figure out who, what where, or why. We can all give educated guesses, but I'm afraid that would be about it unless someone took the time to destroy a few coins to see if they can duplicate a PMD'd coin.
I have actually been thinking about starting such a project. Taking some un-circulated rolls both zinc and copper taking before pic's and then submitting them to types of damage ( IE. dryer, hammer, vice, parking-lot, etc ) and/or environmental conditions. then taking after pic's.

mustbebob
06-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Don't know if I have ever had a roll of 'uncircumcised' cents to destroy, but I think that would be a great project. I am sure if you wanted suggestions for what type of damage people would like to see, you would get plenty of suggestions. I would be careful about announcing that you were intentionally damaging coins though.

liveandievarieties
06-07-2011, 06:56 PM
If this is all in reference to Roger's mention of a PMD website- my idea was to show examples of coins that were damaged to deceive. We've all seen vice jobs, but I've picked up some very deceptive fake errors, many off of eBay. The anomalies are created, intentionally to imitate dramatic errors- from an indented Sacajawea to state quarters that appear to be missing their clad layer on one side. Could show the fake or damaged coin, and next to it, an authentic example. Site could cover thin acid cents, ex-lucky pennies, and many of the other things each of us frequently sees when searching. Most of it was a potential great find before we learned better. If there was a place that covered the vast majority of what a novice searcher will recognize and be unsure of, it'd answer many of the questions that are asked each week. Perhaps even a forum for "PMD fans", lol.

From my perspective, a damaged coin is as exciting as a wet phone book. But perhaps a site that promotes understanding and education on different aspects and forms of intentionally deceptive PMD would answer a lot of questions for the uninitiated.

graveyard_guy
06-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Don't know if I have ever had a roll of 'uncircumcised' cents to destroy,
sorry I was typing that fast and clicked the wrong word on spell check

jallengomez
06-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Don't know if I have ever had a roll of 'uncircumcised' cents to destroy, but I think that would be a great project. I am sure if you wanted suggestions for what type of damage people would like to see, you would get plenty of suggestions. I would be careful about announcing that you were intentionally damaging coins though.

:sign10:...now that was funny...:sign10:

jallengomez
06-07-2011, 08:25 PM
sorry I was typing that fast and clicked the wrong word on spell check

I do that all the time...makes for some funny stuff.

Maineman750
06-08-2011, 03:57 AM

I do agree that it would be impossible and a waste of time to determine exact causes,but I think some of the ideas about a website would be educational in that they would show how some pretty deceptive PMD can take place.I believe that what throws off most beginners is that they just can't believe people would actually take the time to do some of the things we see or that how often the ear of lincoln takes a perfect hit on the earlobe.

lara4228
06-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Very true Maineman

mustbebob
06-08-2011, 04:07 PM
I agree also Roger. The garage cents where people want it to look like something else (brockage, double strikes etc) would definitely be something worth putting on a site like that. Putting pics of those next to a genuine example of a mint error would help tones of folks.

dvn
06-08-2011, 04:12 PM
But perhaps a site that promotes understanding and education on different aspects and forms of intentionally deceptive PMD would answer a lot of questions for the uninitiated.

I wholeheartedly agree. If any help is needed just let me know.

Billy

liveandievarieties
06-08-2011, 04:55 PM
I'd donate my collection of fakes and counterfeits if someone was willing to undertake the task, but I'm not the website buildin' type.

busyeye
06-08-2011, 05:07 PM
WOW! THATS HAIRRAISING!! Weirdly neat!

liveandievarieties
06-08-2011, 05:09 PM
What is? The squished coin?

jfines69
06-09-2011, 05:26 AM
I want to know how a coin gets circumcised... LOL... This coin looks like it got caught in the coin star... LOL... PSD for sure!!!

busyeye
06-09-2011, 01:39 PM
I do agree that it would be impossible and a waste of time to determine exact causes,but I think some of the ideas about a website would be educational in that they would show how some pretty deceptive PMD can take place.I believe that what throws off most beginners is that they just can't believe people would actually take the time to do some of the things we see or that how often the ear of lincoln takes a perfect hit on the earlobe.

Yes so true, if not for all your comments and expertise I sure would fooled.

coinman2009
06-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Well the site sounds good! I've seen a few things, like soft die jobs, that are very deceiving! A Site Would Help Alot Of People I Think!:tinysmile_classes_t