PDA

View Full Version : Possible 1982 DDO??? Maybe

engine823
06-09-2011, 07:10 AM
Okay here is what I see. I see extra thickness in LI in liberty. I also see extention on the 8 in the date at 7 oclock. The S in trust also looks questionable. I looked on CC and saw no exact match. what do you all think????:LOL_Hair:
OH, also the Y has extra thickness in right bar.

georoxx
06-09-2011, 07:40 AM
I would not have thought twice about tossing this one into the reject pile... except for whatever that is coming off of the 2. (SW) Gas bubble..?

-George

hasfam
06-09-2011, 09:59 AM
82's can be a little tough sometimes, but george is right. based on the photos you provided, there is nothing there. Don't be discouraged though. Keeping searching and be on the look out for seperation lines, notches, extra thickness especially on the 8 of the date (the bottom part will sometimes look distorted). Not all of these have to be present at the same time but keep an eye open for any and all of these basic hub doubled die features.
Another suggestion I have for you and anyone else interested, is to try and read up and learn how the different doubled die classes are made. When you have a basic grasp of the different classes then you will have a better idea of what it should look like and what part of the coin it should effect. This will help sometimes especially when you're seeing scattered or random anomolies on a coin and you don't know the which, what, why, where etc etc. Just a thought.

engine823
06-09-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks guys! Maybe I'm looking alittle too hard. What caused the extra thickness on the I in Liberty?? And also the 8 issue??

hasfam
06-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys! Maybe I'm looking alittle too hard. What caused the extra thickness on the I in Liberty?? And also the 8 issue??

I wouldn't be able to tell you for sure without actually seeing the coin. But when a die starts to wear out, the devices will start to look flatter and wider. Worn dies opposed to Class VI doubled die will sometimes confuse the best of them.

mustbebob
06-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Rock hit it on the head. 1982 large date coins are notorious for being struck with worn dies. The 'big' class 6 obverse leaves little doubt that it is a class 6 versus worn dies.

jfines69
06-09-2011, 03:22 PM
It's kind of like the mint took the worn out small date dies and made them large dates!!!