PDA

View Full Version : Does this show any doubling?

lara4228
06-12-2011, 03:32 PM
This is my second 2011 cent I've come across here in Canada, so I really don't have much to compare it too.

I do believe that the date, GWT BRTY all seem to show signs of what I may *think* is doubling.
On the reverse, there seems to be possibly a die crack on the top left part of the shield, which, if this is a DDO, would lead me to think it is 2011-P-1DO-002, but my coin shows more doubling than the one listed on CC.

With my new eyes and not completely understanding markers yet, I would appreciate your take on this.

I've got 18 pictures in all, but I'm not going to post all of them. If you require more pics, let me know and I will post.

(((btw, I tried NOT to capture glare, I even thought that maybe not focusing might help distinguish a bit better)))

Thank you,

Lara

jfines69
06-12-2011, 03:40 PM
It looks normal to me Lara... Also you can go to the US mint web site and download a high resolution image of the 2011 obv and rev!!!

lara4228
06-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Cool thanks I did not know that.

jfines69
06-12-2011, 03:46 PM
You are welcome!!!

lara4228
06-12-2011, 03:47 PM
is this the page I should be looking at?

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/info/?action=01

simonm
06-12-2011, 04:14 PM
To me it looks like some tricky light reflection...

lara4228
06-13-2011, 06:22 AM
Please don't feel that I am.

I am only trying to understand what it is I'm seeing.

I have revisited this one again. Different time of the day, different natural lighting, etc.

I only snapped 2 shots this time.

Is what we are seeing is normal still?

Lara

dvn
06-13-2011, 06:35 AM
Please don't feel that I am.

I am only trying to understand what it is I'm seeing.

I have revisited this one again. Different time of the day, different natural lighting, etc.

I only snapped 2 shots this time.

Is what we are seeing is normal still?

Lara

I don't feel you are being argumentative Lara. The short answer to your question is what we are seeing still normal... yes.

It is the lighting glare feedback that is throwing you off on what you are seeing. In our variety hobby, not only just knowledge and experience are important, but it is also just as crucial our equipment are the most valuable resources we have since we are examining very fine details about a coin's design. More importantly, and probably THE most important is the lighting we use to examine those fine details. They can make or break us. If the lighting is too much glare we can end up seeing things that sometimes look like doubling but are really not there on the design.

Take for instance in another post about the doubled LIBERTY (http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14085) on a 2011 cent that in the OP image it looks like there is notching and some separation on those letters. But after the coin was sent to me for examining I posted a photo of the same area and we could see that those letters were perfectly normal.

Also, on the flip-side, the glare can also be just as problematic in that it can prevent us from seeing a genuine doubled die by missing certain elements on the design that actually could have been a result of hub doubling.

It just takes practice and practice with various lighting angles and tilting of the coin to those angles to get the right amount of light to show the details that we need to see.

Billy

georoxx
06-13-2011, 07:18 AM
I personally have a hard time looking at that last pic (#10) and attributing the doubling depicted to a lighting or glare phenomonon. The fact is though, if you compare this pic to the one you posted earlier (picture 014), the perceived doubling is completely different.

-George

dvn
06-13-2011, 07:48 AM
The fact is though, if you compare this pic to the one you posted earlier (picture 014), the perceived doubling is completely different.

-George

Exactly! We know that both images are of the same coin since we can see the small carbon spot just to the left of the middle section of the digit 2 in both images.

But, when we compare the two the perceived doubling is completely different from each other.

Also, not to harp, but it's a lot better for viewers when you post images to orientate them correctly instead of upside-down.

What is seen is a glare feedback.

However, with that said, Lara, as you know, there is only one way to make a final determination. In-hand examination of the coin. If you want, you can send me the coin and I'll examine it. No fees, no charge.

Billy

http://www.dvnmagazine.com/20.jpg

lara4228
06-13-2011, 09:22 PM
LMAO Billly! I guess the cat is out of the bag now eh? That is how I live my life...upside down, sideways and sometimes wrong ways too!

I suppose I will try to straightened out my pictures better so that everyone can see them the 'normal' way. lol.

jfines69
06-14-2011, 04:45 AM
Isn't upside down the new right side up... That link to me to the mint site but I didn't find a pic of the 2011 except on the penny page... You could always cut and paste the pics off the penny page and convert to a jpeg... I will look through the mint web site later and see what I can find for you!!!

copperlover
06-14-2011, 07:00 AM
The separation does slice into the device(2) early on the curve in pic #2. That is the the giveaway that clearly shows MD. The glare has fooled me more than once. Just have to look carefully at the pics selected for posting. I'm still not there yet. Cheer up Lara. You are going to find the "ONE"

Lucien

dvn
06-14-2011, 07:21 AM
I suppose I will try to straightened out my pictures better so that everyone can see them the 'normal' way. lol.

Lara, I apologize if it came across as sounding like I was a smart @ss. I'm just trying to help and offer some advice to the images you posted in this thread seeking comments, that's all.

Good luck with all your collecting and searching endeavors.

Billy

lara4228
06-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Billy Smart @ss is not how you came across at all. I was only trying to make light of my lazy ways.

You were right, I should have taken the whole 1.5 seconds to rotate the picture.

No harm done, no harm taken and advice well served!

Lara

simonm
06-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Lara just regarding my first post...I just want to say that I did not think you were being argumentative at all. In fact, it was good that you defended your guess, and then backed it up with some photos. (some people sometimes just stop at saying "no no no IM RIGHT" ) You actually did prove me wrong, as it turned out to be machine doubling and not really glare/light...I certainly wouldn't mind having another doubled die, that's for sure!!