PDA

View Full Version : 2001d identify error please

Lavent
06-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Can anyone give me an honest opinion on this coin. And also can anyone tell me how to do a closeup on a certain area of the penny. Mine seem to come out blurred? Disregard, wrong penny,

georoxx
06-14-2011, 08:05 AM
It depends on your camera. Some have macro... some have super macro. Some cameras don't have decent enough resolution capabilities rendering it near impossible to get clear super macro close-ups. A trip-pod (or another clever means of stabilizing your camara during the shoot) also goes a long way toward clarity.

Does your camera have a macro or super macro feature..?

-George

Lavent
06-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Can anyone tell me what is happening with this penny? the "s" in state has something on it.
Also, can someone tell me how to do closeups on certain areas of my pennies, I am using Macro and magnifier. The pics come out blurred. This is driving me crazy when I am told need a closeup. Can you guys not zoom in close enough to see what I am referring to.

Lavent
06-14-2011, 08:15 AM
It has Macro. Also when I view, I go to view on my toolbar and zoom in to 150 to 200 percent.

georoxx
06-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Depending (again) on your camera, you should be able to get very close to your coin with the camera lens. For instance, with my camera, I can get to within 1 inch of the coin I am shooting by using my camera's super macro setting. With macro only, you may only be able to get as close as 3 or 4 inches, but judging by your pics, I'd say you're holding your camera too far from the coin. Also, when using macro, you have to hold the camera relentlessly still or your pics will come out blurry no matter what. A tripod is best. Also, try to difuse the lighting by using some waxed paper between your light source and your coin. That will help you to reduce glare.

Lavent
06-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Okay, see if you can view the 2001d coin I recently uploaded.

georoxx
06-14-2011, 08:40 AM
If you are talking about the last pic you attached to this thread... too small.

Lavent
06-14-2011, 08:46 AM
I guess I have to give up on this hobby. I cannot get any input regarding my coins because of my small pics. When I review my own attachments on the forum I use the toolbar on the attachment and zoom in, and can clearly see the images I am referring to.

georoxx
06-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Here's what I see when I zoom in to 400%.

liveandievarieties
06-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Or perhaps Lavent, instead of giving up, you could educate yourself on the proper tools to use when expecting free attributions. You can't just buy a cheap fishing rod and go down to your local stream, then quit when you don't catch a trophy trout- it takes education, research and understanding.

Before you can expect people to just tell you what you do or don't have, you've got to use the right tools with the understanding of what they are and are not capable of. It can be frustrating, but if you stick around long enough to start getting a grasp, you'll find there's nothing more rewarding (except fishing, lol).

Lavent
06-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Okay, I did some trimming because I don't have a super macro on my camera. I hope this is better.

georoxx
06-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Better.

The anomaly common to the S (in STATES) looks to me like a popped plating blister... similar to the blister common to the T (of UNITED) that looks like it's gonna blow any day now.

Keep taking pictures... change the camera settings and try different lighting ideas and take notes... figure out what works best for your equipment and set-up. Go into a local coin shop and see if you get lucky enough that someone there (a) knows a thing or 2 about taking decent pics of coins... and (b) is willing to assist. Just about everybody here tries... and tries... and tries. Sometimes, the pics turn out good. Sometimes, we're left scratching our heads. The better photographers have it down. The rest of us are students. (Welcome to class.)

-George

mikediamond
06-14-2011, 01:18 PM
It's most likely a mound pushed up by subsurface corrosion.

Lavent
06-14-2011, 05:44 PM
What do you think of the attached pics? Check out lincolns eye and other strange things going on with this penny.
Thank you for your input on the other penny.

liveandievarieties
06-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Plating bubbles. Very commonly found on cents after 1981, as they are all copper plated zinc.

jfines69
06-15-2011, 05:24 AM
Your pics are getting better... When you edit them size them up to 1680 x 1050 or as close to that as possible and set the dots/pixels per inch to 1200... This gives a good pic for zooming in on... 1680 x 1050 is the max resolution size for this forum... I do not remember the max jpg file size though!!!