PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Plating error?

Shingpumps
08-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Anyone know exactly what this is? I have an idea, but don't know what the true term for it is.
http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=737

CCC
08-26-2008, 06:06 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is excessive pressure on the rim area. I don't see any flaking of the zinc though. Let's see what others say.

1sgret
08-26-2008, 06:29 AM
I would tend to agree, however I don't see an excessive "Finned rim" (normally on excessive pressure strikes). Could be partial plating due to the zinc planchet being contaminated prior to copper coating. Just an assumption even though I have one just like this one and the whole coin is missing the copper around the edge only. Joe

Shingpumps
08-26-2008, 08:16 AM
It looks like what happens during a broadstike (pressure like CCC said).

1sgret
08-26-2008, 02:49 PM
You peaked my interest in the reason for the zinc showing on the coin. I asked M. Diamond to give me a clarification on how this happened.

"The copper plating is incomplete. This could be due to some problem in the plating bath. It could also represent damage to the planchet before the strike".

A partial unplated coin. Nice Find!!!!!!!!!

CCC
08-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Nice Find Shing!!!!

CCC
08-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Nice detective work 1sgret.

Shingpumps
08-26-2008, 04:35 PM
You peaked my interest in the reason for the zinc showing on the coin. I asked M. Diamond to give me a clarification on how this happened.

"The copper plating is incomplete. This could be due to some problem in the plating bath. It could also represent damage to the planchet before the strike".

A partial unplated coin. Nice Find!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the info. I still havn't found an unplated cent. At least not an AU or better that there is no question that it wasn't plated.

1sgret
08-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Your Welcome and that answers the question for mine also. I have one full unplated coin and 1 partial unplated coin. Both certified now. I looked for a long time. With your luck you will find one Shing. Joe

Shingpumps
08-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Your Welcome and that answers the question for mine also. I have one full unplated coin and 1 partial unplated coin. Both certified now. I looked for a long time. With your luck you will find one Shing. Joe
I see alot of beat up coins with the plate missing. I can never be sure if it is post mint because of the condition.

1sgret
08-27-2008, 01:17 AM
Most are doctored coins and especially one's (Raw) being sold on auction sites.