PDA

View Full Version : 1975D- what is it?

Roller
06-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Of course, if it was not corroded I would not have it. However, that item between the 7 & 5 of the date looks like something. Does anyone know of a varitey that might match this. Remember, this is not a zinc coin so don't say bubble.

hasfam
06-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Ok, I won't say bubble. How about junk? Crud? Disease? Leporsy?:LOL_Hair:
It could have been a die chip once under the disease. At least it looks like it. I wouldn't call it a variety, but thats just me.

tinytinkerbell
06-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Odd.. kinda looks like an upside down backwards D :)

Roller
06-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Ok, I won't say bubble. How about junk? Crud? Disease? Leporsy?:LOL_Hair:
It could have been a die chip once under the disease. At least it looks like it. I wouldn't call it a variety, but thats just me.
Thanks Rock. Is that your unvarnished opinion? The admonition about bubbles was not intended for veterans like you. I will file it under "crud".

hasfam
06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm sorry, but your post just started off so funny that I wanted to return the favor with some more light humor. I do see what you were referring to and there is a chip in there with perhaps some staining and of course a little corrosion or verdigri. File it away.

georoxx
06-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Are you trying to confuse me, Tink..? Isn't an upside down D just a D..?

:~

-George

eaxtellcoin
06-22-2011, 07:14 PM
I agree with Rock on this one. What is just east of the tail of the "5" is nothing more than a baaaad spot of verdi. This can fool even the best of us untill it's been removed. I usually use a toothpick so it does'nt scratch the coin. Verdi care works OK if your just trying to make sure there is nothing under the junk. In combination,"toothpick and verdi care" will give you a good idea if you have found something or if it's just gunk...Stuff does a nice job on circs, but the inner hole of the "D" usually does not come clean!
Just what i've observed!

tinytinkerbell
06-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Are you trying to confuse me, Tink..? Isn't an upside down D just a D..?

:~

-George

Hey, I said backwards too!! :LOL_Hair:

Roller
06-23-2011, 04:08 AM
I agree with Rock on this one. What is just east of the tail of the "5" is nothing more than a baaaad spot of verdi. This can fool even the best of us untill it's been removed. I usually use a toothpick so it does'nt scratch the coin. Verdi care works OK if your just trying to make sure there is nothing under the junk. In combination,"toothpick and verdi care" will give you a good idea if you have found something or if it's just gunk...Stuff does a nice job on circs, but the inner hole of the "D" usually does not come clean!
Just what i've observed!
This is the post-tootpick version of the coin. As you say, the middle of the anom will not give up the verdi. It's no big deal to me either way but I like most others have seen "rosies" caused by verdi and I thought the SouthEast border of this one might be something more so I posted it.

jfines69
06-23-2011, 05:15 AM
Surface of the coin looks to be in bad shape from environmental damage or a bath in acid and the spot looks to be just worse damage... If you do not mind cleaning a coin try Wrights' Copper Cream... It will remove most of the contamination quickly without causing damage to the coin.... Just MHO!!!