PDA

View Full Version : Two Coins, Two Questions

engine823
06-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Hey all I have had these pics for a few days now but my card reader broke and I had to go buy another so I had not got a chance to post these yet.
Both these may be junk coins but I want to know what caused the issues.
Coin one I have seen a few examples of while going through cents. Is this just a slight off center strike that causes the rim to do this??
Coin two I have not seen anything like it before. At first glance it appears that it is just CRAP stuck around the rim but I really believe this is not the case. I really don't know what it is, if anything so I don't have any further info.

I KNOW, I KNOW 2011's!!!:LOL_Hair:

Roller
06-23-2011, 04:06 PM
The corroded one I dont' know; can't tell. The first one I believe is a mis-aligned die strike. Sometimes neat but no premium.

hasfam
06-23-2011, 04:16 PM
George is correct. A MAD, mis-aligned die for the 1st coin. The 2nd coin has been exposed to something, probably a chemical of some sort. You will find a lot of weird things done to lincolns by teens in science class. I would say PMD.

Maineman750
06-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Yup...a MAD and an acid job of some sort

copperlover
06-23-2011, 04:26 PM
I agree with both assessments by Rock. The corroded looks similar to zinc exposure mostly around the rim being mixed with other chemicals.

Lucien

engine823
06-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks guys! I didn't think they were anything much just curious.
:LOL_Hair:

jallengomez
06-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys! I didn't think they were anything much just curious.
:LOL_Hair:

Engine,

If you ever come across a mis-aligned die that affects the devices, then you start getting a premium. Not much of one, but a premium none the less. The way to spot a mis-aligned die vs. an off-center strike is that a mis-aligned die will only affect one side of the coin, whereas an off-center strike will affect both.

tinytinkerbell
06-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Engine,

If you ever come across a mis-aligned die that affects the devices, then you start getting a premium. Not much of one, but a premium none the less. The way to spot a mis-aligned die vs. an off-center strike is that a mis-aligned die will only affect one side of the coin, whereas an off-center strike will affect both.

Thanks Jody!... I'm jotting this information down.. :)

jallengomez
06-23-2011, 06:57 PM
Thanks Jody!... I'm jotting this information down.. :)

You're welcome Penny! :)