PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Possible Clash Mark Under Ear

engine823
06-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Hey all! Saw this a minute ago and thought I would get your thoughts on it. 2008 P Lincoln Cent with what looks to me to be a column top under the ear. The pic didn't show the way I wanted and I'm not sure how to add arrows to my pics to point it out. The rest of the coin shows no visable markings.:LOL_Hair:

lineop3
06-24-2011, 07:23 AM
It is a clash and it's the urn. There are many like it on the 2000 series cents.

Aisha

engine823
06-24-2011, 07:28 AM
Oh, Didn't know. Why is it called the URN?? Is it worth keeping since there are so many??

georoxx
06-24-2011, 09:43 AM
I think that's the bay.

-George

trails
06-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Actually it is the bottom of bay 4. Since the bays are at field level, when the dies clash it is that part that of the bay that leaves the clash mark (dent on the die) which appears as a raised area on the coin. The URN (name because of its shape) or Post is an incused area on the die and since it is an negative space, will not leave a clash mark. However, the area around the URN where the negative space is in the bay will leave a die clash with an outline of that portion of the URN.

Die clashes can be tricky and the one main thing to remember is that a design element, since it is incused on the die, does not make the clash mark. It is the field around the design element that is indented on the die that makes the clash mark. Take the common Y of LIBERTY seen on a lot of Lincoln cent reverse clashes. When you look at that Y, it is upside down (inverted) and appears to be incused on the coin. This means that it is raised on the die. It was formed on the reverse die by the field around the Y of LIBERTY being indented on the reverse die. This was done by the obverse die clashing into the reverse die and pushing the reverse field down to a new level around the Y. The reverse field inside the Y remains at the same level it had been since a negative space cannot indent the reverse die.

And speaking of tricky little die clashes, here is a new one found on a 1960-D large date Lincoln cent.

busyeye
06-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Wow! amazing how you experts are gifted to catch these things. Then to explain it, nice! Needed the visual too...this was good for me. Thank you trials.