PDA

View Full Version : 1 More Clearer Picture

Chris Murphy
06-28-2011, 12:02 PM
I just wanted to take one more picture to see if any came out any clearer for a debate before I sent it off to Mr. Piazza. Again, this 1972 has a questionable reverse of a 004. I have a question about the rareness of this cent. Also, I think some sort of chemical at some time was spilled on it giving it sort of weird tint look on the obverse. I do not think someone attempted to clean it but it dose have a look of unnaturalness only on the obverse. How would this effect the value if it was a actually the rare 004 reverse on a regular 72?

Chris-

1sgret
06-28-2011, 12:45 PM
I just wanted to take one more picture to see if any came out any clearer for a debate before I sent it off to Mr. Piazza. Again, this 1972 has a questionable reverse of a 004. I have a question about the rareness of this cent. Also, I think some sort of chemical at some time was spilled on it giving it sort of weird tint look on the obverse. I do not think someone attempted to clean it but it dose have a look of unnaturalness only on the obverse. How would this effect the value if it was a actually the rare 004 reverse on a regular 72?

Chris-

Chris it looks somewhat to the Stage "G" (VLDS) (Wexler), and Stage "F" in the Crawford Files, however my personal opinon it is not. I have posted a picture taken by an attributer of this stage for your comparison. You may want to send it on for a in hands look.

Chris Murphy
06-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Oh yeah I see not even close thank you...

jfines69
06-28-2011, 03:30 PM
I would still send it in though... Can never be to sure until an in hand look by the pros!!!

amosamos16
06-28-2011, 04:48 PM
I know 1sgret knows his 72s, he is about as good as they get, so ill have to ask this is , is it possible that this could be and even later stage? This one just has me wondering, im on the fence.

Maineman750
06-28-2011, 05:29 PM
My first answer was no, then some with more knowledge had me doubting myself, now Joe has me sitting on that same fence.One thing for sure,it only costs a penny to keep it.

copperlover
06-28-2011, 05:40 PM
I agree with Joe totally, but it is worth an in hand examination. It is not the die#4. Thanks for sharing.

LUCIEN

mustbebob
06-29-2011, 02:59 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that the reverse die is not rare. After all, it was used on the original 72 DDO-004, and then paired with at least one other obverse die...and goes all the way up to stage G. The novelty here is that is was paired with an extremely scarce DDO, and in that light, it is collectible.

amosamos16
06-29-2011, 05:13 PM
yea bob i never really thought about it like that. i guess i want the #4 so bad anything associated with it gets me excited. it is that one coin the burns my belly. i know if not for registry it would not be half as popular, its just one i need, and is so rare to find, and way to rich for my blood to buy. you always want what you cant have.