PDA

View Full Version : 1943 S Steel Wheat Cent DDO/RPM

suztbird
06-28-2011, 12:48 PM
I have two 1943 S steel wheat cents that look like they are in mint condition. One is an obvious DDO in the 43 & RPM and the other is the same but not as clear. I am trying to find the value of this variety. Has anyone ever come across this variety on this coin?
Also, I would like to get advise on what type of camera microscope to buy to view and take pictures so I can show what the coins look like up close in situations like this. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thank you so much!

hasfam
06-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Its really hard to answer you without seeing a photo of the coin in question. Grading and value is subjective and we can't give a subjective opinion without seeing the coin.
There are varieties for the 1943S. In fact, Coppercoins lists 16 varieties for the year and mintmark. So again, it would be impossible to give you any significant help in identifying which variety it might be without seeing a photo.
There are others who will join in who might be able to give you the advice you seek regarding a microscope and camera.
I look forward to seeing the photos of your coins when you get set up. Hang in there in the meantime. I'm just one of many who will join in this thread to help you as much as possible. Thanks for sharing.

Maineman750
06-28-2011, 01:47 PM
You can get by with a nice digital camera that has macro mode.If you are wanting good close ups, then 10 MP would be better as you can enlarge more without pixelating. I have a Canon SD780-IS that can get as close up as 1.4 " and has 12 MP.I posted some pics on another forum and the resident photo expert was impressed enough he wa going to recommend it as one of the best in it's price range ($140).

suztbird
06-29-2011, 10:15 AM
I just saw some pictures of a 1943 S Steel penny asking the same question as I am and found out the DDO and RPM I thought it was is only die deterioration. Boy, there is alot I have to learn!

wolfkill
06-29-2011, 12:40 PM
where is photo???

mustbebob
06-29-2011, 02:34 PM
As you will find out, die deterioration is very typical on 1943 cents, and it can be difficult to determine that in some instances. Keep searching as even nice BU steel cents are worth a premium of some sort.