PDA

View Full Version : Looks like a die crack!!!?

twoyankees
07-01-2011, 10:38 AM
This ones is a little hard to figure. I've never seen one like this in a radial configuration, or this long. What do you guys think? :tinysmile_classes_t Tom

JeanK
07-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Very interesting. If it is a zincoln then it could be a plating problem. Otherwise, we need more guesses.
Jean

hasfam
07-01-2011, 10:58 AM
I believe its the result of die deterioration.

twoyankees
07-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Very interesting. If it is a zincoln then it could be a plating problem. Otherwise, we need more guesses.
Jean
Sorry, for got to add, Its a 1984 P:tinysmile_classes_t Tom

Maineman750
07-01-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm almost with Jean on the plating issue because I see it quite often.....but not sure I've seen it as distinct as this. I'll have to look a little closer at the next one I find.The thing that has me hanging is that I don't see a distortion of the devices from the anomoly outward. I'm leaning toward die crack unless somebody can give me a shove.

hasfam
07-01-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm almost with Jean on the plating issue because I see it quite often.....but not sure I've seen it as distinct as this. I'll have to look a little closer at the next one I find.The thing that has me hanging is that I don't see a distortion of the devices from the anomoly outward. I'm leaning toward die crack unless somebody can give me a shove.

I'm starting to lean in that direction too. A 2nd look has been thinking in that line as well.

georoxx
07-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Although I don't have a guess, I am discouting the plating idea as some of the anomaly appears to be atop the letters and is very uniformed along the rim line. While I could be talked into the notion, the ridge line (amomaly) seems too sharp and profound for plating.

Let's see what others think. Nice find regardless, eh..?

-George

hasfam
07-01-2011, 02:55 PM
This is an odd one. At 1st glimpse, it has the appearance of die derioration. After a 2nd and closer look, it does resemble a die crack. I can't say that I have ever see that kind of a die crack though. It starts with the E in CENT and the die cracks I've seen go north from there. This die crack follows the circumference of the outer rim of the die and for quite a distance. I've never seen that before. I really don't know what to make of it at this point. I do think its really cool and a keeper.

jfines69
07-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Die cracks are possible along the circumference... I believe this is a very nice die crack... There does not appear to be any split in the plating and as George pointed out it is on top of the letters... It also appears to vary in thickness... Just imagine if that broke out... It would have left a huge cud!!!