PDA

View Full Version : A Nice Wrinkle 2008D

twoyankees
07-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Don't know what to think on this one you guys (and Gals). PSD mabe? Doesn't seem like it. Grease ? Mabe ya'll have a good idea, I don't seem to.Thanks:tinysmile_classes_t Tom

georoxx
07-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Interesting... but, no clue. (Others..?)

-George

hasfam
07-03-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't know what to make of it Tom. Greasy wavy steps??? Cool looking though. A keeper in my book.

mustbebob
07-03-2011, 02:37 PM
I am thinking the only thing it can be is some sort of PSD. If it were grease, it wouldn't alter the steps at all, merely cover them. It is interesting, but I can't see anything in the hubbing/striking process that would cause this.

twoyankees
07-03-2011, 02:47 PM
I am thinking the only thing it can be is some sort of PSD. If it were grease, it wouldn't alter the steps at all, merely cover them. It is interesting, but I can't see anything in the hubbing/striking process that would cause this.
Hey Bob, silly question but, Wouldn't there be more damage to the plating if it was PSD? Just askin!:tinysmile_classes_t Tom

tinytinkerbell
07-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Interesting...

hasfam
07-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Hey Bob, silly question but, Wouldn't there be more damage to the plating if it was PSD? Just askin!:tinysmile_classes_t Tom

Good question Tom.

jfines69
07-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Is the other side of the coin weak in that area??? Would it be possible to get a closer pic of the anomally??? I am leaning toward some sort of strike thru but not to sure at this point!!!

twoyankees
07-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Is the other side of the coin weak in that area??? Would it be possible to get a closer pic of the anomally??? I am leaning toward some sort of strike thru but not to sure at this point!!!
Jim, I cant see anything on the OBV that shows evidence. Another close up would be hard due to the bright tone and my equip. I'll see what i can do. Tom

jfines69
07-03-2011, 03:54 PM
With nothing on the obv I am leaning even more toward a strike thru... Just have to think of what was struck thru tho... Not grease for sure... If you can't get a closer pic that's ok!!!

copperlover
07-03-2011, 04:04 PM
The first thought that crossed my mind is why is there no extended damage in the adjacent area. We would need added pics of the total area and also the obverse. The anomaly on the reverse steps at 9.00 clock looks too uniform to be PSD in my opinion. I will hold my final thought until I see more.

Lucien

twoyankees
07-03-2011, 04:26 PM
The first thought that crossed my mind is why is there no extended damage in the adjacent area. We would need added pics of the total area and also the obverse. The anomaly on the reverse steps at 9.00 clock looks too uniform to be PSD in my opinion. I will hold my final thought until I see more.

Lucien

Ok Lucien, will do. Just need to finish my beer and put the chicken on the Traeger and I'll be good!:tinysmile_classes_t Tom

twoyankees
07-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Ok Lucien, will do. Just need to finish my beer and put the chicken on the Traeger and I'll be good!:tinysmile_classes_t Tom
Lucien, Right now this is about as good as it gets. Hope these help out':tinysmile_classes_t Tom

trails
07-03-2011, 06:02 PM
I agree with Bob, it looks like PSD. The obverse does not necessarily have to be damaged in this case for the area on the reverse is small that has the damage to it. As for the stylobate being pushed upwards, that can be caused by displaced metal.

BJ Neff

Maineman750
07-03-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm also with the PSD crowd, and it would not necessarily have to damage the plating. I've seen much worse PSD that didn't affect the plating...I know it goes against logic, but it can happen.

copperlover
07-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Having zoomed in and taken a second look, I think this look more like PSD. This is based on what I am able to see from your last two pics which gave me a better look at the steps at 9 o'clock. Bob called this based on the first set of pics that's how good he can be.

Lucien

hasfam
07-03-2011, 07:04 PM
I too have given this some thought and totally agree with the PSD. It's completely logical and plausible, where anything like this being caused during the hubbing process or even the strike is most unlikely to occur.

jfines69
07-04-2011, 04:53 AM
You take better pics after a beer than I do with no beer... LOL... The majority believe PSD... I am still considering the strike thru!!!

mustbebob
07-04-2011, 07:50 AM
Ok Jim. I am kinda going to put you on the spot for educational purposes. We know that a struck through anything will reduce the details of that area. In this case, not only do we have an area that some of the details are obscured, but we also have the same area where the details have been moved. In your understanding of the striking process, what would cause this to happen? The pressure of the strike is straight up and down, but this anomaly curves the stairs up at about a 45 degree angle.
Post strike damage will happen on a coin that is already struck. The details were all in place already. There are many ways the metal can be pushed and twisted at this stage.
My purpose for this is to try and understand what rational you are using for your opinion on this. It certainly isn't a bad thing, but there might be something you are not understanding that we can help you with. Sometimes, you have to delve a little bit deeper, and not go with appearances only....OK?

jfines69
07-04-2011, 03:36 PM
I was going to ask if there was any MD on the rev... It appears to me that some of the step detail is missing but not any amount of metal... Related to a strike thru if memory serves me correct!!!

twoyankees
07-04-2011, 04:39 PM
I was going to ask if there was any MD on the rev... It appears to me that some of the step detail is missing but not any amount of metal... Related to a strike thru if memory serves me correct!!!
Jim, could it just be the pics? I took a couple more so you could see. ( don't tell Bob, I don' want him to get mad at me) . Cant see any MD on the rev. shhhh!( Im whispering) :tinysmile_classes_t Tom

jfines69
07-05-2011, 05:31 AM
There is alot of metal moved and I do not see any secondary damage that leads me to believe this is PSD... Also the clear area is very smooth... Almost as if it was struck thru a piece of hard plastic... SHHHHHHHHHHH.... I am also whispering... LOL!!!

mustbebob
07-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Oh well, We'll just leave this as is.