PDA

View Full Version : My first D/D mint mark

hemisboats
07-06-2011, 04:41 PM
As always, the pictures are not great. But I'm happy........

Roller
07-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Tough to say from the pics. but there is certainly something going on. I'm inclined to say it's plating.

hasfam
07-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Could very well be. Can't be conclusive with the pics provided, but definately hang on to it.

enamel7
07-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Looks like plating to me also.

Brad
07-06-2011, 10:43 PM
Does not look like an rpm. I agree with the others...plating issue.

Maineman750
07-07-2011, 03:13 AM
It would help to know if it is zinc or copper. If it is a copper, that would eliminate a plating issue.

hemisboats
07-07-2011, 04:15 AM
It would help to know if it is zinc or copper. If it is a copper, that would eliminate a plating issue.
I never thought about that, you really are the maineman!
This is the copper version.

jfines69
07-07-2011, 04:59 AM
Being a solid and not plated I would say a RPM... Congrats!!!

Maineman750
07-07-2011, 08:34 AM
"you really are the maineman!"

Naw, just happened to think of something at the right time..usually I'm lucky to remember what day it is:LOL_Hair:

hasfam
07-07-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm curious as to why everyone was so quick to jump on the plating issue platform? Was everyone who posted "plating" able to clearly see the serifs of the mint mark and eliminate the possibility of an RPM because there were no splits or other visible indication of MM rotation or tilting?I clearly saw the so called plating on the east side of the MM, but I couldn't see the serifs on the west side clearly. This is why I said to hang on to it. Please don't take this as an argument, I was just curious if I was the only one who couldn't see if it was or wasn't an actual RPM regardless of the date.

Maineman750
07-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Rock, I know you didn't direct the question at me....but I cannot and did not say RPM for the reason you stated....I just eliminated plating :smile:

georoxx
07-07-2011, 02:52 PM
First of all, I did not chime in initially because I was unsure. However, I did notice what I perceived to be plating blisters (1) coming from the 9 in a SE direction and (2) to the east of the MM. Having said that, plating blisters do not (in and of themselves) rule out RPM.

Jury is still out in my book and, as such, I still have no opinion other than to suggest an in-hand look.

-George

hasfam
07-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Rock, I know you didn't direct the question at me....but I cannot and did not say RPM for the reason you stated....I just eliminated plating :smile:

You're right, I didn't. It's really directed to all of us in a way. I just found it ironic that the plating around the MM became the primary issue of it being or not being an rpm without actually being able to clearly see the MM itself. That's all I was trying to bring up. I have a lot of respect for you and have learned from many of your posts. The same goes for a lot of people here. I just want to be fair to the poster who relies on our discussion and opinions to learn or even whether to keep a coin or not. I don't think I'm getting my point across very well and I don't want it to look like I'm pointing fingers because I'm not.

Maineman750
07-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Rock, I do know what you mean and why you are questioning the answers.My feeling was that plating issues are so common on zincolns that people neglected to consider that this might be a copper cent. You are simply questioning why in order to avoid the same mistake in the future, that's not pointing fingers, it's educating and helping.

hasfam
07-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks for understanding Roger. I realized that some people were focused on the apparent shadow/plating to the east of the MM and might have assumed this is what the poster was referring to when questioning whether it was an RPM. The answers were appropriate based on that assumption. I just thought that maybe the poster was seeing something else, ie; split serifs but we couldn't with the photos provided.
Anyway, thanks for letting me off the hook.:LOL_Hair:

eaxtellcoin
07-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Hemisboats - Have you actually weighed this coin? Copper 3.0G, Zinc 2.0-2.5 Grams. The reason I ask? I have two 1983-D's that have the exact same punch marks, the one pictured is one of them. I do not think this is an RPM because the only thing left is inside the mintmark. Nothing is the same size or no other remnant left on the outside of the coin. It just doesn't have the normal characteristics. Sorry - Eric

hemisboats
07-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Hemisboats - Have you actually weighed this coin? Copper 3.0G, Zinc 2.0-2.5 Grams. The reason I ask? I have two 1983-D's that have the exact same punch marks, the one pictured is one of them. I do not think this is an RPM because the only thing left is inside the mintmark. Nothing is the same size or no other remnant left on the outside of the coin. It just doesn't have the normal characteristics. Sorry - Eric

I did weight it at 3.03 G so I'm pretty sure it is copper. Also, it rings when I flip it.

Thanks everyone!