PDA

View Full Version : New 1989d ddo

LINCOLNWATCHER
07-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Here are some pictures of my new discovery the 1989D DDO (doubled date and doubled LIBERTY)......Please Enjoy!:occasion16:

hasfam
07-13-2011, 05:19 PM
Has this been attributed and given a new listing number? I'm not sure where the DDO is, at least I'm not seeing it myself. I do see heavy MD though.

dvn
07-13-2011, 05:20 PM
May I ask who has it attributed?

edited to add: I see Rock beat me to it.

Billy

financeman
07-13-2011, 05:31 PM
I hate to say it but I see some major MD. It is coins like this that rally fool me a lot when I am looking at them. I always get so excited and then disappointed when I find out it is MD.
Still a nice coin but you may want to take care of that verdigris if you are going to keep it

LINCOLNWATCHER
07-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Billy, I thought this post wrapped it up as new without sending to anyone.
http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14630

hasfam
07-13-2011, 06:28 PM
If I may jump back in for a moment. I reviewed the thread you gave the link to and everyone agreed the "date" showed hub doubling with a lot of MD over the rest of the coin. However, in this thread you show 4 photosw of LIBERTY that doesn't have any hub doubling. This is what confused us i think. Also, the final posts of the other thread led us to think you might have sent the coin in for attribution. Just wondering if you had a chance to do that or did you change your mind?

Maineman750
07-13-2011, 06:39 PM
I remember it as Rock did....we thought there was doubling on the date...and you asked who to send it to

LINCOLNWATCHER
07-13-2011, 06:41 PM
No I have not sent it off yet, thought I saw the doubling also on LIBERTY.

DoubleYou
07-13-2011, 08:38 PM
I missed that thread. I'm not convinced that even the date is doubled. I see alot of plating split doubling though.

mustbebob
07-14-2011, 03:36 AM
In the other thread, we mentioned a DDO, and that was the extra thickness on the digits of the date. We did also mentioned there was MD on the obverse. As with others like this, and as also suggested, it should have been sent for attribution, so discussions such as this don't need to happen.
It appears that our general consensus of it being a DDO, was misinterpreted as the pushed plating/MD, and not the actual hub doubled (Class 6) date.

jfines69
07-14-2011, 05:25 AM
We must all remember that when the pros here make a determination it is based on the pics provided and not a real in depth inspection of the coin... Until they can look at it in hand and do a proper inspection it is a best guess scenario... After the attribution which may included a round robin of other attributers then hopefully the happy dance can proceed in ernest... I do hope this one gets sent in because I think the date is a DD!!!

Maineman750
07-14-2011, 06:08 AM
I agree with jfines on that and really think a sticky or big warning at the beginning of attribution/question topics to that effect would be a huge benefit to all newbies.I thought about adding as a signature but it really applies to a lot of questions brought up here.

dvn
07-14-2011, 06:34 AM
In the other thread I stated, "From what I see, it looks to be a DDO." That comment was derived from the images in that thread looked like there could be some notching at the tips of the digit "9" tails. However, images, as we have all seen in the past, can look different than what is actually seen on the coin. That is why we never attribute just from images.

For example, I can send a photo I took of a doubled die that I have assigned in my "C" files and send it to Wexler. John sees the image but I must send the coin to him so he can examine it, photograph it, and then he will assign it in his "W" files. And it works the opposite, John has sent me a photo of a variety he has listed in his "W" files but I must see the coin before I list in my "C" files.

Currently, in my "C" files I have only one variety that is temporarily assigned a "C" file number and I have NOT seen a specimen of the variety nor have I taken any photos of that variety. That variety is the 1982 1c SDZ Major DDR which I have temporarily assigned as a placeholder the number CDDR-001. The reason for this one exception is because it's obvious that it's a doubled die reverse. All the other thousands of listings in my files that have a "C" number I have actually examined a specimen and I have taken photos of it.

Billy

LINCOLNWATCHER
07-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks all, I will send it in.

financeman
07-14-2011, 11:27 AM
I hope it works out to be a DD. Keep us informed on what happens so we can see the outcome. Good luck

LINCOLNWATCHER
07-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Here is another look at the date.