PDA

View Full Version : 2010 plating

hemisboats
07-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Have these coins been seen often? There is no plating in various areas.

Neal

financeman
07-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Looks like a science experiment coin. There are a lot of Lincoln's I have seen that have been dipped for experiments and it changes the look of the plating on the coin

hemisboats
07-14-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure why the Mint would experiment on a coin then send it into circulation?

financeman
07-14-2011, 12:29 PM
No, sorry. I must not have explained that well enough. This was done after the mint. It came from the mint as a regular coin and was probably done by someone trying to change the color. Definitely post mint damage. Hope this helps
Heath

hemisboats
07-14-2011, 12:55 PM
No, sorry. I must not have explained that well enough. This was done after the mint. It came from the mint as a regular coin and was probably done by someone trying to change the color. Definitely post mint damage. Hope this helps
Heath
actually I wasn't so clear. I thought the phrase "why would the mint do this" would be sufficient. I purchased the case of coins as an early bird and decided to open a few rolls. These are not circulated.

sorry about the confusion. :squigglemouth:

financeman
07-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Oh, now I get what you were saying. I didnt know they were uncirculated. It looks like a coin that was messed with but if it was never circulated, I don't know what happened

dvn
07-14-2011, 01:48 PM
This is not my area of expertise but my first recommendation would be to weigh the coin and go from there.

Billy

1sgret
07-14-2011, 02:07 PM
It was probably done at the vendors location that produces the planchets for the mint.

My guess that it was not left in the copper plating bath long enough or was obstructed by other planchets during the copper plating process.

I may be wrong or I may be right, someone else can chime in.:LOL_Hair:

jfines69
07-14-2011, 03:59 PM
It appears that the plating is insufficient... I think Joe has the best explanation so far!!!

hasfam
07-14-2011, 04:41 PM
It appears that the plating is insufficient... I think Joe has the best explanation so far!!!

Looks like it to me too. Can't really tell from the pics though.

DoubleYou
07-14-2011, 08:37 PM
I don't know, but I think I've observed these when the rolls have been stored in a damp environment.