PDA

View Full Version : Another possible Repunched Mint mark

engine823
07-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Hey all,
I found what I believe may be a repunched mint mark. What is your alls opinion??? It is a 1984 D.:LOL_Hair:

engine823
07-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Any comments welcome, good or bad!

trails
07-16-2011, 07:09 PM
I believe it to be machine doubling.

BJ Neff

financeman
07-16-2011, 08:58 PM
It definately looks like machine doubling to me.

engine823
07-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Okay I may be silly but I thought these were stamped into the dies by hand. If this is the case why is it machine doubling. Also what makes this machine doubled?? Would that not be concidered a split serif on the bottom front of the ( D )?
I guess I'm just not seeing the differance between this example and others I see listed with minor parts of the mint mark showing??
For example what is the differance from a mint mark like this??
This example is another coin from CC's site 1986D-1MM-001

engine823
07-17-2011, 07:22 AM
Okay all I have one more pic to show on this coin and then I will let it die, I promise!!

I added a couple of more arrows to show what I am looking at that makes me think this is something. Are these not separation lines which cause a split serif??
Just when I thought I had my mind wrapped around what I thought I was supposed to be looking for I see this which to me looks so good!
Probably back to the drawing board on repunched mint marks, will have to do some more studing on these.

Thanks ahead of time for taking a second look!! Hope I am not driving this one into the ground!!!

mustbebob
07-17-2011, 08:01 AM
I definitely see what you are seeing, but it isn't like the typical RPM. What it appears to be is a shifting of the mintmark to the south, not from re-punching, but from machine damage. These have fooled many people before, including yours truly many years ago.

engine823
07-17-2011, 09:19 AM
I definitely see what you are seeing, but it isn't like the typical RPM. What it appears to be is a shifting of the mintmark to the south, not from re-punching, but from machine damage. These have fooled many people before, including yours truly many years ago.

Okay I will pitch it back!!! Man I have alot to learn yet!! Thanks to all for their help and also their patience with me while I worked my way through this thread!!!
Maybe the next one I will be able to tell the differance!!

dvn
07-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Engine, some of these can really be difficult to determine. I agree with Bob on his comments. I might suggest keep the coin to compare with when you come across those genuine RPMs for comparison which I know you are going to find.

You have made some really nice finds and keep pushing, more are around the corner for you my friend.

Billy

engine823
07-17-2011, 09:39 AM
Engine, some of these can really be difficult to determine. I agree with Bob on his comments. I might suggest keep the coin to compare with when you come across those genuine RPMs for comparison which I know you are going to find.

You have made some really nice finds and keep pushing, more are around the corner for you my friend.

Billy

Thanks Billy, I'm not quiting yet!! I just hope I don't bog you all down with all my posts. I'm glad I found this site though, I have learned a wealth of info!!! You guys are great!!!:)