PDA

View Full Version : Tim Burton Would Be Proud

georoxx
07-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Hi All.

Found this dramatic example of <INSERT DEFINITION HERE> on this 1995 LC from Denver. This condition affects all letters of IGWT. It is caused by <INSERT EXPLANATION HERE>. This is a fairly common effect, but I've never seen an explanation.

Thanks for looking.

-George

engine823
07-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Thats a wild looking one!!!! Is this the same effect you see alot on the ( L ) in liberty going from the ( L ) to the rim?? I've never really seen it anything like yor example though!!
Great Find!!:)

eaxtellcoin
07-17-2011, 07:19 PM
George, It's Die Fatigue, and wear to the devises themselves is the best way I could describe it.

DoubleYou
07-17-2011, 07:47 PM
I agree with Eric: die fatigue.

hemisboats
07-18-2011, 03:47 AM
It could also be stretch marks from the metal being moved during the die process. I'm going with this as the relief of the lettering is deep. I do see it a lot in silver coins as a way to identify fake cast coins from die struck. An old coin collector taught me this.

??
Neal

trails
07-18-2011, 05:02 AM
It could also be stretch marks from the metal being moved during the die process. I'm going with this as the relief of the lettering is deep. I do see it a lot in silver coins as a way to identify fake cast coins from die struck. An old coin collector taught me this.

??
Neal

How can these be stretch marks? The metal movement in the hubbing process is mostly inward on the die, with a small radial movement outward as well. Since the lines are raised on the coin, this means that the lines on the die are incused, which again, does not equate to stretch marks since the high pressure during hubbing would effectively "press" or eradicate marks of this nature.

Metal flow lines is the only viable answer in this case, which are caused by a die that is very well worn.

BJ Neff

Maineman750
07-18-2011, 05:06 AM
Agree with fatigue,worn,etc.....and very common on zincolns especially

hemisboats
07-18-2011, 05:18 AM
How can these be stretch marks? The metal movement in the hubbing process is mostly inward on the die, with a small radial movement outward as well. Since the lines are raised on the coin, this means that the lines on the die are incused, which again, does not equate to stretch marks since the high pressure during hubbing would effectively "press" or eradicate marks of this nature.

Metal flow lines is the only viable answer in this case, which are caused by a die that is very well worn.

BJ Neff
I reread the posts and did not see that the lines were raised. I can't tell on my screen if they are raised. I would agree with you if they are in fact raised.