PDA

View Full Version : Green stuff and gauges?

launcherimu
07-18-2011, 01:42 PM
First photo; Did this happen while the coin was being made, some die malfuction or is it post?

Second photos; This big glob of something is what? Is this what is called PVC? Also I drew an arrow pointing at something that looks very strange as it is not on other coins. Makes me wonder what's under all that 'stuff'?? Do you take that stuff off??

Third photo; I have lots of these and just wonder what it is. Is it the same as the PVC (hope I'm using the right term) or is it just mold or just the inherent properties of the copper.

Do you leave all this green stuff on coins? Looks uckey under a scope. I am learning so much from everyone but have a long way to go. Thanks in advance, Leslie

launcherimu
07-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Ok, forgot the pictures!! Dah!!

jcuve
07-18-2011, 01:54 PM
The '85 has seen some of the copper plating corrode off and the zinc core is oxidizing. The '61 is likely just some sort of squished foreign material adhered to the coin. The '98D is probably verdigris. The '85 is shot. The '61 I suppose could have the stuff picked off and the '98D might clear up with Badthad's Verdicare product (if you thought it was worth the $ and time to do so). I would just leave them all alone unless the coin carried a premium and take it on a case by case basis.

dvn
07-18-2011, 02:01 PM
launch, don't take this the wrong way, but those coins I would have spent already.

Billy

launcherimu
07-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Thanks Billy... I know they are probably all dumb questions to so many of you but I am trying to get my feet wet here. I just didn't know for sure. No offense taken.

wolfkill
07-18-2011, 03:21 PM
:crossedlips: where did you find these? on the street?:eclipsee_gold_cup: