PDA

View Full Version : 1955, 1952, 1940 & 1929 Wheat pennies, (1955 die chip?)

Karahbell
07-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Amongst the hours of searching this first two-three weeks I found these Wheat pennies. So far besides all the whammies I caught (MD pennies) So far this is it.

One question about the 1955 penny, on the first 5 there is a something underneath the north west side of the penny, is this described as a die chip? All comments welcome please. =)

1955 Penny
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/karahbell/Pennies/1955Year.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/karahbell/Pennies/1955PennyF.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/karahbell/Pennies/1955pennyB.jpg

1952 Penny
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/karahbell/Pennies/1952pennyF.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/karahbell/Pennies/1952pennyB.jpg

1940 Penny
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/karahbell/Pennies/1940pennyF.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/karahbell/Pennies/1940pennyB.jpg

1929 Penny
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/karahbell/Pennies/1929pennyF.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/karahbell/Pennies/1929PennyB.jpg

georoxx
07-18-2011, 09:00 PM
The '55 took a hit.

The others I assume you are posting only to showcase..? or is there something about them that you are curious about..?

-George

Karahbell
07-18-2011, 09:07 PM
just sharing what i found. =)

Karahbell
07-18-2011, 09:10 PM
The '55 took a hit.

The others I assume you are posting only to showcase..? or is there something about them that you are curious about..?

-George

The thing about the 5 is that you can see the line still. if it took a hit wouldn't that be smashed down and no longer visible?

financeman
07-18-2011, 10:21 PM
The 5 definately took a hit. If you look at the 5 beside it, you can see that if you took the mark off the five you are talking about, it would look totally different. The five would not look right and that is why you can tell it is a hit

Karahbell
07-18-2011, 10:24 PM
thank you for the explanation =)

financeman
07-18-2011, 10:26 PM
No problem. Glad I could help

georoxx
07-19-2011, 04:26 AM
The thing about the 5 is that you can see the line still. if it took a hit wouldn't that be smashed down and no longer visible?

The "line" you are seeing was created BY the hit. If you compare the vertical leg (or "line") of the leading 5 with the vertical leg of the trailing 5, you'll notice that the direction of those "lines" is different. (Compare also to the 1.) You can also compare the thickness of these "vertical legs". The trailing 5 is normal thickness, while the leading 5 has sacrificed its thickness after having been smashed... the resulting metal displacement from the hit causing a blob of material to flow west creating a die-chip like appearance in that area. (Sorry for my brevity earlier.)

-George

jallengomez
07-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Cool finds though. Did you find them in rolls?

Karahbell
07-19-2011, 10:12 AM
The "line" you are seeing was created BY the hit. If you compare the vertical leg (or "line") of the leading 5 with the vertical leg of the trailing 5, you'll notice that the direction of those "lines" is different. (Compare also to the 1.) You can also compare the thickness of these "vertical legs". The trailing 5 is normal thickness, while the leading 5 has sacrificed its thickness after having been smashed... the resulting metal displacement from the hit causing a blob of material to flow west creating a die-chip like appearance in that area. (Sorry for my brevity earlier.)

-George

No worries , thanks for the lesson here, your guys are great, I appreciate all the tips.

Karahbell
07-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Cool finds though. Did you find them in rolls?

I sure did, my son loves them. I started searching and collecting for him. We have all the State Quarters now for him and now he has two real silver dimes and now some Wheaties =)

jallengomez
07-19-2011, 11:24 AM
I sure did, my son loves them. I started searching and collecting for him. We have all the State Quarters now for him and now he has two real silver dimes and now some Wheaties =)

That's very much how I got into this; We were building a Cent collection for my son from some of my old coins. And of course now I'm the one obsessed! :tinysmile_hmm_t: How old is your son?

hoyboy
07-19-2011, 11:29 AM
heavy lincoln business and proof collector with some new stats on why the later is going to go thru the roof

Karahbell
07-19-2011, 11:34 AM
That's very much how I got into this; We were building a Cent collection for my son from some of my old coins. And of course now I'm the one obsessed! :tinysmile_hmm_t: How old is your son?

He is 11, and yours? I have more patience than he does. He likes to search with me but can only handle it for about 20 minutes or so. I can search for hours and hours. I gave him all my half dollars that my father gave me when I was a kid, and saved a lot of Italian Lira from when we used to live there, and where my son was born. So now he has some history of the currency before they went to Euro Dollars.

jallengomez
07-19-2011, 11:45 AM
He is 11, and yours? I have more patience than he does. He likes to search with me but can only handle it for about 20 minutes or so. I can search for hours and hours. I gave him all my half dollars that my father gave me when I was a kid, and saved a lot of Italian Lira from when we used to live there, and where my son was born. So now he has some history of the currency before they went to Euro Dollars.

Mine is 10 and very much the same way. About 20 minutes and he's done. He also got my old silver collection that I had when I was a kid. What a neat thing for him to have with the Lira. Much neater than my son's birth year proof set! Does he have any memories of Italy, or did you move shortly after his birth?

Karahbell
07-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Oh I am sure the proof set has more value than the Lira, both the proof set and the lira though are nice reminders to them of how special they are (our kids) to us.
He was 1 when we moved back to the USA, so he only has photographs. But some day I will take him so he can see were we lived.

jallengomez
07-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Oh I am sure the proof set has more value than the Lira, both the proof set and the lira though are nice reminders to them of how special they are (our kids) to us.
He was 1 when we moved back to the USA, so he only has photographs. But some day I will take him so he can see were we lived.

And someday I will take my son to Italy so he can see where I wish we could have lived! :LOL_Hair:

Karahbell
07-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Georgia is beautiful, Italy, really is just like Ca. in regard to the weather. But I went to GA a few years back for work and love it there. It is so green, love that. I want to move there or Oregon.

jallengomez
07-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Georgia does have its moments, and yes, very green. Were you in Atlanta? I've been to Ca a few times; mostly socal. One thing I love about California(depending on where in the state you are at) is that you are only a days road trip away from so many different climes and scenes. One thing I want to do, but haven't yet had the opportunity, is to visit wine country.

Karahbell
07-19-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm In Socal, and very close to Temecula (lots of wine vineyards, just started growing my own vines too and will start growing hops very soon as well) 30 minutes to the beach and 30 minutes to the mountains.
I was close to Atlanta, I was at a resort, didn't get to leave much, but I love the small town feeling, where everyone knows your name, and people smile instead of push you out of the way lol. Actually in Aptos Ca. that place is amazing too, people are so nice, a lot of baby boomer hippies, nice homes, and beautiful beaches with lots of trees.

jallengomez
07-19-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm In Socal...30 minutes to the beach and 30 minutes to the mountains.

Ummm...and you want to move to Georgia why?! j/k...I definitely understand the attraction to a small town, laid back people and familiar faces. Unfortunately I don't get any of that in Atlanta.

errorseeker928
07-20-2011, 01:54 AM
If the 5 is hit with finesse, it will not smashed, but would create a double impression such as what happened to your coin.

Karahbell
07-20-2011, 02:03 AM
If the 5 is hit with finesse, it will not smashed, but would create a double impression such as what happened to your coin.

therefore it is worth lots of $$$$, to hit something with finesse is talent. "ooo la la.... finesse" lol :D j/k, but seriously

financeman
07-20-2011, 10:54 AM
My son is the reason I got back into collecting as well. He is 11 to and it is fun to do things with him. He loves it

Karahbell
07-20-2011, 12:02 PM
My son is the reason I got back into collecting as well. He is 11 to and it is fun to do things with him. He loves it

That is awesome, isn't just so much fun, 11 is a great age.

financeman
07-20-2011, 05:03 PM
I agree. My daughter is 7 and we are having so much fun. I don't want them to grow up but I don't think I have a choice. Lol

simonm
07-20-2011, 05:25 PM
One thing I love about California(depending on where in the state you are at) is that you are only a days road trip away from so many different climes and scenes. One thing I want to do, but haven't yet had the opportunity, is to visit wine country.

I don't even need to go on a road trip to see crazy weather that changes ever minute, I live in san francisco where you can't predict the weather AT ALL (except fog :LOL_Hair: ) Wine country is great. I go up to Sonoma to visit friends a few times each summer, and it's great. For some reason if I was blindfolded and dropped into napa I would know where I was by the air...there's a smell or feel to it that's completely unique.

errorseeker928
07-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Finesse is talent, but to CDI (Created Double Impression) is against the rule of man and of GOD. Imagine how these people are trying to make fun of new collectors; it's unconscionable!