PDA

View Full Version : 1934d d/d???

launcherimu
07-19-2011, 10:15 AM
I keep on trying. This one came in a canvas sack of 5000 I got at an auction. Please tell me it's a good one :angel: ???!! If not that's ok.:tinysmile_cry_t3:
Thanks, Leslie

1sgret
07-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Looks to be Mechanical Doubling (Machine Doubling).. Look at your date in the 3rd photo it has the same thing. (Flat shelf Like surface).

Maineman750
07-19-2011, 11:28 AM
Agree with Joe, and the MD on the mint mark is also a clue. Mint mark were added by hand back then so shouldn't be doubled unless you run into a doubled die with RPM...but that's a stretch

launcherimu
07-19-2011, 11:33 AM
What is MD? Medium date? What does that mean? :squigglemouth:

jcuve
07-19-2011, 11:40 AM
MD: Machine Doubling

I have a tutorial on it HERE (http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6528)

launcherimu
07-19-2011, 11:49 AM
Wow thanks.. Very informative. Will continue to inhale all the info I can. All this stuff really takes a trained eye and lots, I mean lots of experience. That's why I joined LCR. You guys are the greatest. Quite a learning experience. Leslie

Maineman750
07-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Leslie, here are some acronyms for you :http://www.lincolncentresource.net/forums/faq.php?faq=numismatic#faq_numismaticacronyms

Karahbell
07-19-2011, 01:01 PM
In addition to this forum I like to use Wexlers http://doubleddie.com/144801.html

launcherimu
07-19-2011, 01:21 PM
I have that one already and MD says master die not machine doubling. I also have PCGS 'lingo and they say MD is short for medium date. So who's right??? Confusing..Leslie

launcherimu
07-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Great site Karahbell. Will do some studying. Thanks

1sgret
07-19-2011, 02:23 PM
I have that one already and MD says master die not machine doubling. I also have PCGS 'lingo and they say MD is short for medium date. So who's right??? Confusing..Leslie

MDD - Master Die Doubling

MD - Machine Doubling (Mechanical Doubling)

Looking at example coins and describing each example with the two acronyms above will show a really big difference in the two types of characteristic doubling.

Don't know about PCGS "Lingo" as I do not use it.:crossedlips:

The user of the terms is right as long as it fits the subject he is describing.:)

Hope that helps!!!

Maineman750
07-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Joe, our own site lists the acronym MD as Master Die...now that's funny :LOL_Hair:
Leslie, all the forums I am a member of use MD as Machine or Mechanical Doubling.....I'd never heard of the other two uses until you pointed them out:smile:

jcuve
07-19-2011, 03:34 PM
In the context of your time at LCR, what Joe has outlined will work for you. In other places you might see MDD as machine doubling damage, or strike doubling. It gets confusing and those of who have been here for a while probably should be certain to limit abbreviations with anyone new so as to not cause unneeded confusion.

launcherimu
07-19-2011, 04:29 PM
With all the confusion over acronyms I guess that's how one learns.
However, Jcuve, perhaps as you stated when acronyms are used in a post maybe the definition of what you are seeing could be put in parenthesis after the acronym. That may help us newbies.
Thank you all for all the help. Ya'll are awesome.

Maineman750
07-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Leslie, maybe in the interest of efficiency, the newbie could just ask ? After all the acronyms are used to save typing.

launcherimu
07-19-2011, 05:41 PM
You are so right about efficiency. I will just continue to ask. Bear with us newbies. Thanks Maineman.

Maineman750
07-19-2011, 05:51 PM
We never tire of newbies asking questions...as long as they make an effort, so will we :tinysmile_hmm_t:

financeman
07-19-2011, 06:48 PM
One thing that really helped me on MD is if you can take away the part looks doubled and what you are looking at does not look whole anymore, it is most likely MD. Hope this helps

1sgret
07-19-2011, 07:20 PM
With all the confusion over acronyms I guess that's how one learns.
However, Jcuve, perhaps as you stated when acronyms are used in a post maybe the definition of what you are seeing could be put in parenthesis after the acronym. That may help us newbies.
Thank you all for all the help. Ya'll are awesome.

Good Idea just like the Military does.

First spell it out Mechanical Doubling then following the spelling use (MD) with the abbreviation enclosed.

Example: Mechanical Doubling (MD) is found in abundance while searching.

Does this work? Now which Acronyms will be used as they are different and in large quanities in the Forums, reference material, and the minds of old folks.:LOL_Hair::LOL_Hair:

errorseeker928
07-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Thank you Karahbell for such a wonderful job; you are an angel to LCR.

lineop3
07-22-2011, 05:55 PM
To have Jim explain it, he would say it's MD for Medical Doctor. :LOL_Hair:
(He's such a silly rabbit)

Aisha