PDA

View Full Version : 1952 & 1953 Lamination or cud

launcherimu
07-20-2011, 06:39 PM
The first three pictures are a 1952. Looks like a cud (Blob) just above Lincoln's eye and goes around NW to about the ear. The line going to the west from the cud (blob) I'm not sure if it's lamination or not?
066 and 079 (3rd & 4th picture) is a 1953. Not sure if it's a crack or cud? It really doesn't look like a crack, under a loupe it looks more like an extra piece of metal. Cud?

I have a couple more similar to these but will post in another thread... Later

copperlover
07-20-2011, 06:47 PM
There was a previous post yesterday asking the very same question and I did attach a link which give an example and a simple explanation. You may revisit the post to study the difference between a cud and a die chip and die crack.

Lucien

financeman
07-20-2011, 07:03 PM
I agree that it definately looks like a die chip to me. A cud goes from the rim in and since this does not, i think it is a chip

launcherimu
07-20-2011, 07:11 PM
There was a previous post yesterday asking the very same question and I did attach a link which give an example and a simple explanation. You may revisit the post to study the difference between a cud and a die chip and die crack.

Lucien
So I would say these would be considered die chips as they are not severe as die cracks, but they can also be called cuds. Is that correct?

launcherimu
07-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Lucien, the purist definition is that a cud must touch the rim. Not so right? A cud can be anywhere. So these in essense can be just called cuds right?

jcuve
07-20-2011, 07:47 PM
What I see pictured above I would call it a large die crack that was chipping.
A CUD involves a complete die break that originated from a rim to trim die crack - the example above does not show a CUD.

An example of a CUD is here:

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww322/jcuve/1977CUDa.jpg

jfines69
07-21-2011, 04:49 AM
Very good explanation and photo Jason!!!

wolfkill
07-21-2011, 05:38 AM
:bigsmile: nice!!! thats great jason!!!:bigsmile:

mustbebob
07-21-2011, 03:25 PM
launcherimu....I am very curious as to why you hung up on using the word 'cud' for die chips and or cracks. Just about everyone here has mentioned what a cud is. There are also three other posts presently going around where 'CUD' is explained, photos shown etc. I just think we have been beating a dead horse on this, and it is completely unnecessary.