PDA

View Full Version : 1970 S Small Date, Natural Toning?

Antiquity
07-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Hey everybody! Been away for a while, was completing my Jefferson Nickels and Roosevelt Dimes Collections. Back to working on my Cents. Finally Picked up a PCGS MS65RD 1970 S small date to complete my 1959-present LMC collection.

I would imagine that this was toned over the years inside the PCGS slab, otherwise they would have mentioned it during the grading process yes? Anyway just looking for opinions, and if you think the toning makes it more or less valuable. I personally love it, and I guess thats what really matters. =)

Its good to be back!

http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af56/thomassummers/Cents/CIMG8262.jpg

Thanks as always! :)

Maineman750
07-22-2011, 10:30 AM
I wouldnt worry too much about it as it's in the slab already....(kinda like looking a gift horse in the mouth) and the important part is that you like it. If we were to say it's AT, that might change your opinion. But yes they would have mentioned any AT or damage if they had noticed.

hasfam
07-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Nice toned coin. I don't know if it would have toned that much inside a slab. I thought the material used by TPG's was made to retard most chemical advancements of a coins surface. maybe not. Your coin does have a nice appeal to it though. i like it. As far as value. Some collectors build whole sets of just toned coins. They'll pay a premium for them. Others don't care about them. I guess it all depends on where and how you market it.
Thanks for sharing.

Antiquity
07-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the friendly replys, I foget to mention its in the old style PCGS label with the series # and coin #, they stopped that in 2004 or 05 didnt they? So its been in there for at least 5-6 years? Came from Louisiana so Im guessing the humidity played a part in it?

Maineman750
07-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Well,I didn't want to mention it, but it does have the look of humidty exposure. I have a few lincolns with that look and that's exactly what caused it.

jcuve
07-22-2011, 12:35 PM
The slabs are not air tight, so under the right conditions it could have toned in the slab. On another forum (or was it a magazine?) someone placed a slab into a box with a gas (I cannot recall which one) and after some period of time the coin (I believe it was a proof silver dollar) toned a brown-black color establishing for certain the slabs are not stopping all the elements. It could have also just been graded RD by mistake.

Nevertheless, nice acquisition and thanks for sharing!

Antiquity
07-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone! Im guessing it was just stored in a non climate controlled enviroment.

Maybe One day if I ever feel like it I will resubmit it for grading to see what they say about the toning.

It wasnt adverstised as a toned coin, as a matter of fack the pictures were pretty bad so I was taking a gamble on it, so my concerns of it be AT were slim, was just wondering others thoughts on it. In my opinion the gamble paid off!

Thanks again and have a great weekend fellas!