PDA

View Full Version : 1981 split rim

mehojah
07-25-2011, 01:38 AM
Here is a split rim I found. Don't know what to call the little metal blobs. CUD ?
When I first started looking at these errors and varieties I had no idea there
was so much involved in learning about them.:~

mustbebob
07-25-2011, 02:45 AM
It is not a split rim, but is post strike damage (PSD) someone used a pair of pliers or some other tool t cut into the coin.

mehojah
07-25-2011, 03:22 AM
It almost never occurs to me that someone would do things like that
to a coin.Thanks for the info.

Jess

DoubleYou
07-25-2011, 01:28 PM
They probably were an uneducated person trying to discern whether it was copper or zinc :ooh:

errorseeker928
07-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Coin mutilation is a serious offense in the U.S.

mustbebob
07-27-2011, 02:39 AM
I wouldn't call it a serious offense errorseeker. Just about every tourist trap area has machines to make the elongated cents, and if that's not mutilation, I don't know what is. It is definitely frowned upon, but I wouldn't call it a serious offense.

busyeye
07-27-2011, 05:07 AM
I wouldn't call it a serious offense errorseeker. Just about every tourist trap area has machines to make the elongated cents, and if that's not mutilation, I don't know what is. It is definitely frowned upon, but I wouldn't call it a serious offense.

Bob, I've found since the beginning of my searching a few of those, however, some with longer cuts toward the center of the coin. I've kept them bc I always wondered what caused them during the mint process, and so straight a line cut. They don't look as if the cut happened after but during mint process ...but who knows. Why do I keep them? Dunno, just got to liking real strange and questionable coins, that to a professional may just only fall under machine or mechanical damage. I may have 1 or 2 that have craters/holes that fall inward without damage to the design. In other words they are not drilled into and damaged like other coins I've seen, more like a warped sunk in look. I know I still have them just have to look for them.

hasfam
07-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Sometimes I have found cents with small teeth marks on the rim or field that look like they are from a small gear. I don't know of this is relevant to the conversation, but thought I would just throw that out there.:)