PDA

View Full Version : [Example] Obverse/Reverse Shattered Dies

1sgret
09-17-2008, 05:35 PM
This is one of Three graded examples of Shattered Dies (Obverse/Reverse) with a Huge Cud (Die Break).

Steven
09-17-2008, 05:40 PM
I would think that die that did this was replaced very soon after this one was struck.

1sgret
09-17-2008, 05:45 PM
Yes, and it is a pretty nice example and your right it was proably replaced shortly after this one and I wish I had the other two. All (3) are graded by the same company. Triplets!!!!!!!!!!! (LOL)

CCC
09-17-2008, 05:49 PM
That is a interesting coin. Heat treating dies(depending on the material) is a delicate process. It appear's the dies were either too hard or a sever die clash was envolved or pnuematicts had something to do with it. Nice coin.

OCD
09-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Nice example.

JeanK
09-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Are you absolutely certain they are just 'shattered'? Looks more like explosions!
Jean

grnwavdav
11-11-2008, 06:50 PM
That is awesome!!!

mustbebob
11-12-2008, 02:45 PM
The coin looks perfectly fine to me:) I have no idea what you folks are talking about:sign10:

RWBILLER
11-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi:
That is another "cool" error!
Great find.
Thx
Roger

trails
11-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Okay - I do not think that both dies shattered. Now for the reason why.

Looking at the obverse you have a very nice "cud" formed. It is that portion that shattered which left the remnants of that section on the reverse die. What happened next was a die clash, which embedded the fragments in both die faces. This can be seen from the blank area on the reverse, which would correspond to the cud on the obverse. You probably had a succession of maybe fewer than ten coins pass through these damaged dies before the press was shut down and the dies replaced.

I am going to notify Mike Diamond on this one and see what he thinks. It is a very interesting coin and not often seen.

BJ Neff

trails
11-13-2008, 09:01 AM
For some reason Mike Diamond could not enter a post, so I'll submit what he sent through an E-mail to me concerning this coin.

"It's not a shattered die. Instead it shows severe die damage, along with a large obverse cud and a smaller obverse cud. It's possible that the die fragment whose loss left the large cud in the northwest quadrant was struck by the dies and shattered on impact. This may have left the numerous impact scars we see. Furthermore, the broken shards, when struck again, would have further damaged the two dies. Alternatively, a foreign object composed of hard brittle metal may have been struck and splintered, leaving the extensive damage and, perhaps, breaking off the missing pieces of the die.
I have a cent struck by this die pair and have owned two others. It's one of the two most severe cases of die damage I know of. The other is a 1998-P quarter.

For some reason, I was not permitted to post. Feel free to post my comment on LCR"

Mike

1sgret
11-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Well BJ I find that very interesting. Mike Diamond out does the graders at NGC again. I always use Mike as a sounding board if I don't understand an error coin or have a question relating to an error coin.
All in all the description on the label is incorrect and should read "Severe Die Damage Obverse and Reverse." I like both explanations given on how the damage occurred. Still definitely a conversation piece and an eye catcher for my error collection. Mike and BJ "Thank You" Joe