PDA

View Full Version : Having tough time with this 96D LL

twoyankees
08-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Was going through a bunch of stuff that I've had for who knows how long, and found this Lathe Line 96D. I'm having a real tough time with it. Some of the markers that I see are conflicting, or shouldn't be there. Thought it was a 012 but the lines do not dissapear through God and Trust. I can't se any cracks in the face area at all, or on the rev memorial either. Could you guy and gals please see what you think? I tried to get a variety of pics, hope they are good enough. Thanks.:tinysmile_classes_t

jfines69
08-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Very good pics... Aisha is the Queen of the LLs... So hopefully she chimes in... Remember that you do not have to have all of the markers that the sample coins show... If even one matches up then most it is safe to say it is that die... If you are still unsure then you could always send it in... Also if you want to make an overlay of the sample coin just let them know and follow this info: Have you r mouse pointer over the pic you want to save: Rt. click the pic then click "Save Picture As": Then save it as a jpg, bmp or any other pic file type: Then make your overlay with it: Hope this helps!!!

twoyankees
08-19-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks Jim, never tried an overlay. The thing is, this one has a marker from one die above the E in We, and a similar marker from a different die in the lower part of the first bay on the rev. Very confusing. :tinysmile_classes_t Tom

jcuve
08-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Fell free to send it to me and I'll figure out if it is listed or not.
Nice find!

jfines69
08-20-2011, 05:03 AM
It may be the obv/rev dies were paired to others!!!

twoyankees
08-20-2011, 10:15 AM
It may be the obv/rev dies were paired to others!!!
That thought crossed my mind Jim, so I went back and took a couple more shots. The Obv marker, on the upper (top) part of the E is a marker from Die 012. Very distinctive. The Rev marker also very distinctive, in the lower part of the first bay, is from Die 008. Pretty cool. This has to be a possibility one would think. Jason will get an inhand on this one,have to scratch up a couple Bucks and send it.:tinysmile_classes_t Tom

jcuve
08-20-2011, 03:39 PM
I have never had a harder time attributing anything than these '96-D LLs - the Denver Mint didn't bang up the dies or abrade them - and the markers, when I find them, take hours sometimes. I never knew the trouble I set myself up for when I started to list them.

jfines69
08-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Jason is going to have fun with this one... LOL!!!

jcuve
08-20-2011, 07:17 PM
...have to scratch up a couple Bucks and send it.:tinysmile_classes_t Tom

No fee needed; just a SASE for the coin's return...PM for my address...

jcuve
09-03-2011, 07:02 AM
A new stage of 012:

http://errorvariety.com/Lathe-lines/images/1996D-1c-LL-012C.jpg

twoyankees
09-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Many thanks Jason, for taking the time out of your busy schedule to figure this crazy one out. And also for the the new listing.I thought I was fairly close on the 012. Like you said, LL's are pretty confusing. Thanks again,:tinysmile_classes_t Tom

jfines69
09-03-2011, 03:27 PM
Congrats Tom on the new stage... Awesome photos Jason... I could even see Abes nose hairs... LOL!!!