PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip!

MrHaz78
09-14-2011, 06:04 AM
Since Amtrak decided to cancel my trip to Aspen, CO this weekend due to track repairs near Omaha from the flooding, I have decided to hop in my trusty Ford pickup and hit the road on a penny hunt. I have tomorrow and Friday off, so am going to hit about 10-15 small towns in my area and see if they have any rolls, bags, or bricks they need to get rid of! Do any of you do something like this once in awhile? I've had pretty good luck from my local Credit Unions and banks of late, but think I'll give this a one time shot to see how it pans out. Bill

Steven
09-14-2011, 06:11 AM
Everytime I leave town I stop at one or more banks, especially if I have not been there before just to pick up some coins. Most will not sell them to me if I don't bank with them but some don't mind a money exchange.

Rollem
09-14-2011, 06:21 AM
What Steven said, Banks had people without accounts. Local supermarkets are more favorable many times.

Good Luck!

busyeye
09-14-2011, 06:42 AM
I go town cruising at least once...or twice a week lol. Truth be told, Im thinking on a real long road trip to visit the mint or something. I have a goal to one of these days...and real soon (peek of fall), take a real long road trip, and stop whereever I get that gut feeling. Ever get that gut feeling? ...Where you just dont stop at any bank...its gotta be the bank you have that gut feeling about. Dunno...guess Im being weird, but hey, it worked for me yesterday... again! And I got that 56 RPM D/D north I just posted last night. And a few other finds I've yet to confirm and look over again. Without that gut feeling, I dont go in the bank(s), only unless Im in a rush to just go in bc its the closest bank at the time. Gut feeling is good.

busyeye
09-14-2011, 06:52 AM
In fact, your thread got me feeling for a short road trip right about now. Herego that gut feeling...:smile:

MrHaz78
09-14-2011, 07:00 AM
LOL @ Busyeye! I know what you mean. On a whim I stopped in at a bank I don't have an account with here in my hometown. Turns out that a good friend of my wife works there and she now calls me whenever their penny bag fills. Ya just never know, and those gut feelings certainly pay off sometimes! Bill

Steven
09-14-2011, 07:26 AM
In fact, your thread got me feeling for a short road trip right about now. Herego that gut feeling...:smile:

Got the fever yeah.

AstroRaider
09-14-2011, 07:49 AM
When traveling across the US, I always endeavor to gather penny rolls.

Living in California, I see mostly Denver mint cents, and some San Francisco mint cents. Philadelphia cents are rare unless I pick up rolls in central Orange County where they gathered pennies from tourists (Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, etc.), then I can get a better mix (including stray Canadian cents).

When I fly to the east coast, I pop into different banks and pick up a few rolls here and there. When shopping, I always take a peek in the till (when they open it) to see if they have penny rolls. If they do, more often than not, they will let me have one or two if it doesn't leave them short.

Now, here comes the tricky part...

When flying, penny rolls are objects of attention to security personnel. They can set off metal detectors and they are very dense on the x-ray machines and scanners. I have had my carry-on baggage and checked baggage searched many times (probably) because of the pennies. Whether loose or in rolls, the secruity personnel do not know what to make of large amounts of pennies.

Steven
09-14-2011, 11:44 AM
This thread convinced me to go get a couple bricks. I don't really need much of a push to do that though. So far not much. Did find this in the first roll though.

MrHaz78
09-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Steven, I pulled the exact same counter stamp out of the $50 bag I am currently going through yesterday! I think I now have almost a dozen different ones, with about seven of the "States". My grandson is going to have a nice variety of coins when I pass all of this to him some day!

busyeye
09-14-2011, 12:51 PM
This thread convinced me to go get a couple bricks. I don't really need much of a push to do that though. So far not much. Did find this in the first roll though.

I have that one! :D and a few others.