PDA

View Full Version : New here, inherited a collection

Pelon
09-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Hello,

I found this site while googling "rotated reverse", and it looks like this might be a good source of info. My father was a hobbiest coin collector who passed in 1976. My brothers and I sold most of the collection in the year after his death to settle the estate, but I recently found box of about 200 pennies with errors. He had apparently been quite keen on these as they are mostly stored in the cardboard and plastic coin holders and labeled extensively. There is also a box with a "Redi-Super-Imp" round protractor and instructions that appear to have been purchased in 1967 for "Exact measuring of rotated reverse dies on Lincoln Cents".

Pretty interesting stuff. I randomly removed a few of the coins from the box and found dates from 1911 through the sixties. Some of the labels include: Blank Planchet Indian Cent; Copper Coated 1943; Pen in Pocket; Rippled Planchet; Shell Case Copper; Dot Coins; Rotated Reverse; Slanted Letters; Weak Strikes; Slanted Dates, and Weak Profiles.

I see that there are resources on this site for grading and pricing, and a trading post section. If I were to want to sell part or all of this collection, can some of you provide me with advice on how to get started? I am really curious just how many collectors are out there that are interested in these types of coins.

John

Steven
09-28-2008, 08:22 PM
Hello,

I found this site while googling "rotated reverse", and it looks like this might be a good source of info. My father was a hobbiest coin collector who passed in 1976. My brothers and I sold most of the collection in the year after his death to settle the estate, but I recently found box of about 200 pennies with errors. He had apparently been quite keen on these as they are mostly stored in the cardboard and plastic coin holders and labeled extensively. There is also a box with a "Redi-Super-Imp" round protractor and instructions that appear to have been purchased in 1967 for "Exact measuring of rotated reverse dies on Lincoln Cents".

Pretty interesting stuff. I randomly removed a few of the coins from the box and found dates from 1911 through the sixties. Some of the labels include: Blank Planchet Indian Cent; Copper Coated 1943; Pen in Pocket; Rippled Planchet; Shell Case Copper; Dot Coins; Rotated Reverse; Slanted Letters; Weak Strikes; Slanted Dates, and Weak Profiles.

I see that there are resources on this site for grading and pricing, and a trading post section. If I were to want to sell part or all of this collection, can some of you provide me with advice on how to get started? I am really curious just how many collectors are out there that are interested in these types of coins.

John

This is what we are about John. Here to help. Lets see some pics with your questions. By the way welcome to LCR.........:)

JeanK
09-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Hello John.
Welcome to LCR.

My main advice to you is to find a reputable coin dealer who can help you determine if the coins are valuable. Some Lincolns from the years you mentioned can be very pricey to buy.
If you can tell us what town/city you are in I am sure someone here can recommend a good dealer and/or appraiser who is able handle specialty items like those you are listing.
I do not want to see you get bamboozled and taken advantage of before you find out more about the coins.
Others on this forum will undoubtedly be looking at your post and can offer a more
professional view point.
Good Luck
JeanK

1sgret
09-29-2008, 01:19 AM
Welcome to the forum.

car10
09-29-2008, 03:23 AM
Welcome to the forum John. We'd love to hear/see more of the coins your dad treasured.

THE PENNY MAN
09-29-2008, 06:45 AM
Welcome to the forum....WE would like to see pics of the coins please.

amac44
09-29-2008, 06:49 AM
You found the right site! Welcome & post some pictures!

nightowl
09-29-2008, 04:31 PM
Welcome to the forum. We wanna see pics.

kloccwork419
09-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Welcome...been here for a week and LOVE it...Better then other forums I go in...

Lets see some pix!!!!!!!

RWBILLER
09-29-2008, 06:24 PM
welcome to the forum - some pic's of the more dranatic ezamples would be great. Somes errors are worth 1Cent other are worth 100 dollars or more!
godd luck
Roger

Pelon
09-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Wow. Thanks for all the replies! I live in Fort Worth Tx. I haven't ever gotten into posting on forums so I'll see if I can get hang of posting some pics this weekend and put a few up. Since I don't know much yet about how to judge them, I suppose I should just shoot some of the cleaner looking ones? I noticed a few, like the Blank Planchet Indian that look pretty worn and others that look almost new. I assume I should leave them in these plastic coin holders to keep them from getting any more wear?

I'll try to have a few pics next week.

laytonre
10-01-2008, 07:47 PM
john if you take out of current holders remember that finger prints will stay on coins hold by edges....and if you have them wear gloves...ebay has the white gloves for coin nuts...like us...you can learn a lot from this site and one clue is to hold coin by edge and roll in fingers under light...also dont jump on the first ship that passes...the guys/ladies here are great and will try and help with any of your questions you have..so good luck....richard

Shingpumps
10-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the LCR. Hope to see some of your pics. P.s. Don't sell till you've had the coins looked at by a trust worthy dealer.

Wheat Cents
10-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Welcome to the forum John

RWBILLER
10-12-2008, 12:12 PM
welcome to LCR
good hunting
Roger