PDA

View Full Version : 1922 Plain

JeanK
10-04-2008, 12:08 AM
My avatar is a vignette of a coin I found in a bag of 5,000 wheat cents I purchased a few months ago. A very kind gentleman sent the coin in for certification and grading and was ecstatic to get this result. PCGS graded it 1922 No D XF40 BN, Strong Reverse.
I feel so honored to have found such a valuable coin.
Enjoy,
JeanK

mustbebob
10-04-2008, 04:59 AM
Very cool Jean. It is quite a find. Congrats!

snowman
10-04-2008, 05:11 AM
very nice find and picture from PCGS - Jean.

i read about it about awhile ago on another web site ? thanks for sharing it here.

Snowman

JonMN34
10-04-2008, 06:21 AM
Wow, congrats

OCD
10-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Outstanding.:tinysmile_classes_t

Brad
10-04-2008, 07:47 AM
That is an incredible find...nice.

JeanK
10-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Very cool Jean. It is quite a find. Congrats!
Thanks Bob.
I thought maybe the picture could be used in Variety Fair if PCGS won't give us any grief about their copyrighted photograph. Of course, they can be given credit for the picture.
???
JeanK

JeanK
10-04-2008, 10:52 AM
very nice find and picture from PCGS - Jean.

i read about it about awhile ago on another web site ? thanks for sharing it here.

Snowman
Yes Snowman.
If it weren't for the nice fella, AJ, at CoinTalk, I may not have known exactly what I had. He was the first one I emailed the picture to after I found it.
AJ was more excited than 'skeptical me' about the find. He goaded me into taking the coin to an 'expert' coin dealer in my county. I showed the gentleman the coin and simply asked if it is 'real', and after a few moments the corner of his mouth turned up slightly, (I had not seen him smile before that) and the he said, 'oh yes it is real'...
It was a Kodak Moment and I didn't have a camera.

This has been quite a roller coaster ride. The coin community have been excellent mentors supportive in their will for me and other collectors to succeed, that I am sure I can never repay them fully.

THANKS!!
JeanK

snowman
10-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Jean

are you planning on selling or keeping it. I like to collect what i find but i had to sell some to prove to my family that you can find coins worth hundreds of dollars for cost at the bank.

i was surprised that PCGS has graded so many of this variety. Over 4000 for both weak and strong reverse. Maybe alot are resubmittals (is that a real word ?).

question on the 5000 bag of wheats that you bought. just curious did you buy the bag from a coin dealer type of person, off ebay, locally, east coast- west coast. i see that your in CA and 1922 is a Denver coin, did that help in finding it. With myself being in NY your lucky to find D and S minted coins.

JeanK
10-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Hi Snowman,
Check your PM box for a lengthy answer for this...
Thanks,
JeanK

JeanK
10-05-2008, 10:17 AM
OOps, I forgot to add that the 22 Plain I posted was credited to Die Pair # 2.
That is sort of necessary for proper attribution.
JeanK