PDA

View Full Version : 2000 P Wide AM hopeful

JeanK
10-05-2008, 12:20 PM
This is one of three very similar coins from one of several rolls for this date.
I have posted this coin on another forum and have been told it is not a real wide A M, that perhaps it is a new variety.
I am posting this for all to consider and possibly find out for certain if it is one to keep in my special collection.
Thanks,
JeanK

mustbebob
10-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Jean,
Show us a close-up of the FG on the reverse. I have seen these before. This is not a Wide AM. I think it is merely a coin where the devices are thinner than what you are used to seeing. Could be just an EDS coin, or maybe from a die that was more lightly hubbed than normal resulting in the thinner devices.

1sgret
10-05-2008, 12:48 PM
If the left leg of the M device was as thick at the right leg of the M device the A & M would be touching. I have found a few of these also.

JeanK
10-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Okay...
Sure was hoping for a great coin.
Can we start another variety?:tinysmile_hmm_t:

JeanK

DWK
10-05-2008, 08:19 PM
This is one of three very similar coins from one of several rolls for this date.
I have posted this coin on another forum and have been told it is not a real wide A M, that perhaps it is a new variety.
I am posting this for all to consider and possibly find out for certain if it is one to keep in my special collection.
Thanks,
JeanK

Easiest way to tell for sure is measure from inside of A to inside of M
(On your QX5 at 60x), rather than outside to outside. That
way you cant be fooled by die abrasion etc. Compare a 92 to a 93 to see what I mean. Big difference. On my laptop a wide AM is exactly the width of a business card. Close is about 1/4 inch less.

Good luck

Dave Kearns

Shingpumps
10-06-2008, 05:59 AM
I have seen the same thing on the 1992 D. Some of the wide am type reverses seem to be a little closer than others. Could be heavy polishing though

legend
10-10-2008, 10:43 PM
If the FG is further from the memorial than the A is from the M, continue looking. FG is scrunched up to the memorial in the Wide AM, but thanks to all for showing how someone could shave detail from the M and make it appear as a wide AM!

Yachtsman
10-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Hope that this information will help. See photos.
http://www.portnorfolkyachtclub.com/2000_Wide_AM_Cent.htm