PDA

View Full Version : [Example] Monroe $1.00 Center Piece for Error Collection

1sgret
10-10-2008, 10:48 AM
I believe as of this date this is the only Certified (2008-D) James Monroe, Type II Blank Planchet that has been graded and encapsulated with the Year and Mint Mark annotated on the holder.

This Planchet was found by the PCGS Graders in a sealed James Monroe $1.00 Brick (Box) that had been submitted by a dealer to PCGS to have all the coins graded in the box. Interesting Piece.

mustbebob
10-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Joe, If it's a blank planchet, how do you know which is the Obverse and which is the Reverse? I am assuming your annotations on which side it is corresponds to the slab?

kloccwork419
10-10-2008, 02:45 PM
And how do they know whats what or what president it was suppose to be?. Is the edge lettered?

mustbebob
10-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Jason,
As Joe mentioned,
This Planchet was found by the PCGS Graders in a sealed James Monroe $1.00 Brick (Box) that had been submitted by a dealer to PCGS to have all the coins graded in the box. This box contained only the James Monroe coins directly from the mint.

1sgret
10-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Joe, If it's a blank planchet, how do you know which is the Obverse and which is the Reverse? I am assuming your annotations on which side it is corresponds to the slab?

:tinysmile_hmm_t: Yes you are correct and I did that for someone who asked me which was the obverse & reverse (Insurance agent). I pulled the pictures from my coin inventory files. I see your not sleeping tonight. :LOL_Hair: Joe

kloccwork419
10-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Jason,
As Joe mentioned, This box contained only the James Monroe coins directly from the mint.

LOLOL...I must of went straight to the pix without reading..lolol.. i dont usually do that:LOL_Hair:

But whoever had the whole box graded must of had ALOT of money.

1sgret
10-10-2008, 05:13 PM
No problem with that. I felt funny when I E-mailed my Insurance agent back and asked why he needed to define obverse and reverse on a planchet. (Identifying markers in case it was stolen and broken out of the slab). Yes , and it does have identifiable marks on the planchet.

CCC
10-10-2008, 06:16 PM
May I ask, Out of respect to all parties involved, what the marker's were?

1sgret
10-10-2008, 07:24 PM
May I ask, Out of respect to all parties involved, what the marker's were?

This is what the Insurance Agent requested: For identification purposes which would help identify the planchet if stolen and broken out.

legend
10-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Markers on a blank slab- who'd have thunk it?!!:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

snowman
10-10-2008, 09:48 PM
And how do they know whats what or what president it was suppose to be?. Is the edge lettered?

Jason,

just as Bob said with the addition of what i heard that any dollar coin found with the date of 2008 printed on the edge and submitted before the next President's release date (John Quincy Adams) May15th would receive that Presidents name on the slab. I beleive this true for PCGS & NGC.

so if i found the same blank coin today in a roll of Monore dollars - they would not give it the Monroe name because it could of been under any President dollar coin issued this year. This year i ordered a box of Monroes from my bank. I was getting behind on looking thru them as i spent them, so i had made sure that i at least looked thru them before May 15th cut off date if one was in my box. So next year when the Harrison dollars come out and if a blank coin is found with the 2009 date on the edge it will get the Harrison name on the slab if summitted before the Tyler coins are released.

its hard to believe that a whole box - 1000 coins was submitted after Feb 15th because on the slab they(PCGS) didn't have "First Day of Issue" on it - they are worth more

i'm guessing this true for the rest of the dollar coin years.

Hope this makes sense Snowman

1sgret
10-11-2008, 03:15 AM
Nice explanation on marking the slab with Presidential Issue Names.

I believe the dealer I purchased this from, is a bulk dealer from the mint, as he does have alot of "First Day of Issue" for sale including Platinum Coins, Gold Coins and the Presidential Dollars. He also sells regular issue Buffalo's along with the Proofs. That's about as much as I can tell you except he is an authorized PCGS submitter/dealer(?).

laytonre
10-11-2008, 05:09 AM
i have just one question. the only way that pcgs or ngc grades these type of coins is if they (the grading company) opens the roll or box (?), correct that was sent in sealed to them. at least that how i had to send my eagles to get graded. richard

snowman
10-11-2008, 06:17 AM
if i remember correctly that someone in Colorado found a blank dollar with edge lettering back in 2007 & before the John Adams dollar coin were released, so it was slabed with Washington name on it. i thought this article was in Coin World - i'll see if i can find this article

here is another link - it might be on the same pic

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=661360&highlight_key=y&keyword1=edge

1sgret
10-11-2008, 06:58 AM
I believe you are correct and he/she was paid by PCGS to authenticate/grade the coin with edge lettering as it did not go thru the complete minting process. (I think this is correct).

As far as submissions for bulk from the mint I would e-mail the grading company to find out there criteria.

I had the 10th Anniversary Platinum Set graded on a special submission they had and I had to send the complete sealed box from the mint (unopened). They opened the box and graded the coins and returned them with all packaging material including the receipt of purchase inside the box. This is about as much as I know on set submissions for that set.