PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Lg Date Zinc Doubled Die Obverse?

Bri
11-10-2011, 12:38 PM
I found this one this morning and decided to have a closer look with my microscope camera. I see what appears to be notching on the L and I of LIBERTY at the northeast corners of the letters. I see what appears to be notching in IGWT letters where indicated by the arrows. If more pictures are necessary to see other details, I will be happy to add them later.

I searched for it on Coppercoins but I saw nothing like this. I am interested what more experienced folks have to say on this one.

Thanks in advance for your input and have a great day!

Bri

Roller
11-10-2011, 01:25 PM
'82s drive me nuts so I don't know but will keep an eye out for other responses.

Bri
11-10-2011, 01:27 PM
'82s drive me nuts so I don't know but will keep an eye out for other responses.

Me too Roller! The common fuzziness of the lettering is very discouraging! Thx for keeping an eye out.

Bri
11-11-2011, 08:45 AM
There must be a lot of folks out there that hate the 82's too. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

1sgret
11-11-2011, 08:59 AM
IMO it looks to be die deterioration by your pictures and is hard to tell.

Bri
11-11-2011, 10:00 AM
IMO it looks to be die deterioration by your pictures and is hard to tell.

What about the notching?

RWBILLER
11-11-2011, 01:20 PM
We finally bought a anacs cert. one. I must have posted 10 of them with no positive results.
Roger

Bri
11-11-2011, 09:52 PM
We finally bought a anacs cert. one. I must have posted 10 of them with no positive results.
Roger

The 1982s are hard to detect doubling, but on this one I see what appears to be obvious notching. I even drew arrows and nobody is obviously not seeing what I am seeing. I should put it on eBay for sale for $100,000.00...I bet I would get some comments on it then. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

DoubleYou
11-11-2011, 11:28 PM
The notch on the B cannot be a notch for a doubled die, as notches don't appear there on doubled dies, at least none in my experience. I really don't see a notch there either.

The notch on the I extends down deeply cutting into the I almost 1/5 of the way down, and appears to be a small nick/hit.

The notch on the L is too distinct for the amount of mushiness on the coin. Mushy coins have mushy notching, as they don't suddenly become sharp and bright when they're mushy to begin with. Therefore, I think this is a small nick/hit/bagmark.

As for extra thickness, all I see is thickness resultant of die deterioration spreading out the letters.

Observe 1982-D 1DO-002 here: http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1982&die_id=1982d1do002&die_state=mds.
Notice the word letter "E" in "WE" in the motto. Notice that the bottom arm at the tip curves up like a small pointy horn. Notice on your normal coin how it goes straight across. This is a major pick-up-point for the 1982 class VI doubled die obverses.

jfines69
11-12-2011, 05:06 AM
The "L" is the only possible notch I see... The "IB" appear to be hits as is indicated by the damage just south of the area in question... The "E" of WE is also damage as well as the "TR"... IMHO it is all PSD... I hate the 82s also... LOL!!!

Bri
11-12-2011, 09:41 AM
The notch on the B cannot be a notch for a doubled die, as notches don't appear there on doubled dies, at least none in my experience. I really don't see a notch there either.

The notch on the I extends down deeply cutting into the I almost 1/5 of the way down, and appears to be a small nick/hit.

The notch on the L is too distinct for the amount of mushiness on the coin. Mushy coins have mushy notching, as they don't suddenly become sharp and bright when they're mushy to begin with. Therefore, I think this is a small nick/hit/bagmark.

As for extra thickness, all I see is thickness resultant of die deterioration spreading out the letters.

Observe 1982-D 1DO-002 here: http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1982&die_id=1982d1do002&die_state=mds.
Notice the word letter "E" in "WE" in the motto. Notice that the bottom arm at the tip curves up like a small pointy horn. Notice on your normal coin how it goes straight across. This is a major pick-up-point for the 1982 class VI doubled die obverses.

I see and understand what you are saying, Wendell. However, my coin is a Philidelphia and the coin in your link is a Denver. I did see the notching in the motto letter and it is pretty clear on a mushy coin. I agree about the B and the I on my coin looking like hits, but the L is the one that really captured my interest. I do believe that there are so many dies out there that haven't been discovered yet and have seen that on this site. I will keep it for prosperity sake and maybe send it in to Mike Diamond to take the doubt out of this find. Appreciate your input, though and although not favorable, I still learned a few things, so much appreciated.

Bri

coppercoins
11-12-2011, 06:26 PM
I see some thickness on your coin, but that's kinda normal with large date 1982 cents. I do not see anything that represents anything out of the ordinary for a 1982 cent though.

DoubleYou
11-15-2011, 10:01 PM
I see and understand what you are saying, Wendell. However, my coin is a Philidelphia and the coin in your link is a Denver. I did see the notching in the motto letter and it is pretty clear on a mushy coin. I agree about the B and the I on my coin looking like hits, but the L is the one that really captured my interest. I do believe that there are so many dies out there that haven't been discovered yet and have seen that on this site. I will keep it for prosperity sake and maybe send it in to Mike Diamond to take the doubt out of this find. Appreciate your input, though and although not favorable, I still learned a few things, so much appreciated.

Bri

I wasn't suggesting that that Denver die was exactly what your coin should look like, but rather, that's the manner in which it would most likely behave if it was a doubled die.

corroded
11-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Hey doubleyou, thanks for using my penny for reference. One needs to look hard at
the WE and see if the little arms in the E are almost grown together, then of course,
the notch in the R..Plus the bottom of the "I" having indentation in it to fit around the
bottom of the "L" in LIBERTY. Three real big PUPS.

Bill