PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning pennies, umpteenth time.

legend
10-12-2008, 10:58 AM
I know pennies must never, ever be cleaned. But there are these little black spots on some relatively new rolls I have, and I would like to know if there is any way to remove these spots without damaging the coin or changing it's grade.
I read that these were created at the mint during the ultrasonic drying process, and they were there forever once they dried on the coin.
Can some regulars tell me how these get on the coin, and how to remove them without harming the penny.
:sad:

kloccwork419
10-12-2008, 11:39 AM
Not sure if you can remove them. I have a few proofs with them on it.

JeanK
10-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Solid black spots are most likely carbon spots. These actually eat into the metal and cannot be removed without harming the coin.
The 'water spots' you can see less dense dark spots. I do not believe these can be removed without scratching the surface.
However, with that said, and if you have many of these, why not try an experiment with different methods of cleaning to see if any of the suggested ways will work without harming the surface of the coin?
JeanK

legend
10-12-2008, 03:23 PM
All I have ever heard of was red cider vinegar, and it turns out it gave me the itchies on my hand, but did clean some gunk that a rose thorn helped with around Liberty.

kloccwork419
10-12-2008, 05:14 PM
hahah..The itchies..lololol...Im tellin u man. Try a petroleum base somehting for the water spots..Like vaseline...Them black spots are there..Just have to deal with it.and corrosive Im pretty sure

JeanK
10-12-2008, 05:14 PM
You can try Goo Gone, but I am quite sure it won't take off carbon, water spots, or fingerprints. It is good for other gunk and dirt found on circulated coins. So far I haven't harmed a single cent by using the forumla.
Maybe someone else who has more experience will chime in and help.
JeanK