PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't there any 1974-S RPM's listed?

hasfam
11-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Pulled this 1974-S with a basic split serif RPM last night and didn't think much of it. I have tubes and tubes of similiar RPMs covering 5 decades. All basic RPMs needing to be ID'd or there too minor to worry about. When I went to see if this one was listed I checked CC, then DVN, then Wexler, then CONECA master files......nothing listed at all for the 1974-S.
On the otherhand, I googled 1974-S RPM and found there have been people who have found 1974-S RPMs as they are on different coin forums. So, I guess they are out there but nobody has turned any in for attribution. Just wondering why. Too minor to list maybe?

liveandievarieties
11-12-2011, 08:23 AM
Hmm, that's really an interesting question Rock. Your RPM doesn't appear too minor at all. I'll be interested to find out too. Really glad you're on LCR, I've learned a lot from you and your inquiries.:bigsmile:

duck620
11-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Rock, iv'e found a few of the 1974-s that i thought looked like RPM'S.Didn't see any listings for them,so back in circulation they went.
Maybe should have keep them!.

Ken.

pennies4pennies
11-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Looks like it should be listed. I have 4 OBW rolls of 74S maybe I should check them out.

mustbebob
11-12-2011, 12:54 PM
This particular coin wouldn't be listed because of its condition. To be honest, I am not completely convinced it is an RPM. Under higher magnification, it appears it might be damage. Wear, rubs, scrapes, hits, and sometimes MD on the mintmark do not allow us to see exactly what the RPM looks like. There could be something else there besides an apparent split serif. We try to get as good as an example as possible to photograph. Otherwise attempting to attribute a coin based on a damage coin is useless.

hasfam
11-12-2011, 01:35 PM
This particular coin wouldn't be listed because of its condition. To be honest, I am not completely convinced it is an RPM. Under higher magnification, it appears it might be damage. Wear, rubs, scrapes, hits, and sometimes MD on the mintmark do not allow us to see exactly what the RPM looks like. There could be something else there besides an apparent split serif. We try to get as good as an example as possible to photograph. Otherwise attempting to attribute a coin based on a damage coin is useless.

Gotcha Bob. The coin is not in the best shape and maybe it's not an RPM at all. When I look at mint marks under the scope, I start out with one light source but then put a 2nd high watt spot light on it to see everything more clearly. This did appear to be a legit RPM under the lights and scope to me, but I'm far from being any kind of an expert.
Going back to my original curiosty, that is, I find it odd that in all this time there hasn't been a BU 1974-S RPM sent in to someone for attribution. Well, maybe its not odd at all. Thanks for the explanation and I hope my response didn't come across to weird sounding or argumentative.

mustbebob
11-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Not at all Rock. I understand your question completely, and your rationale for asking it. I don't have the answer as to why there aren't any listed as I have never has one submitted. I have never found one myself either. It is possible any 1974S RPM may not be anything more than minor split serifs that most attributers consider too minor to list. 1974 is not a favorite of a lot of people. However, since 1974 was the last date the San Francisco mint struck business strike S mint coins, it surprises me that there isn't a bit more interest in them.

coppercoins
11-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I have a couple of 1974S repunched mintmarks somewhere. Just never listed them.

jfines69
11-13-2011, 05:15 AM
Is there a curve to the west of the top curve or is it my eyes???