PDA

View Full Version : How do you ship coins

Shingpumps
12-20-2007, 03:26 PM
Just info you might like to share on shipping/recieving coins. How do you secure a coin for shipping, in a flip, 2x2, ect.

car10
12-20-2007, 03:43 PM
Just info you might like to share on shipping/recieving coins. How do you secure a coin for shipping, in a flip, 2x2, ect.
I usually put the 2"X2" inside a 2-1/4"x3-1/2" paper envelope and then that inside a padded envelope. If it's worth a couple hundred dollars or more be sure to send it Registered Mail with insurance.

Brad
12-20-2007, 04:30 PM
I use a 2X2 in a padded envelope. I have a scale at home, and I use Paypal shipping. I just drop the package off in a USPS mailbox on the way to work. I hate going to the post office. I use registered mail on very valuable coins, or when I'm sending in coins for certification.

Pat
12-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Good question..

Let's see.. On Slabbed coins, proof sets and coins worth up to $500 I ship USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope. $4.95 and includes free pickup at your mailbox or frontdoor.

On cents that would grade G or worse but somebody really wanted a 1916 S which sometimes I sell for a couple bucks on ebay. I ship them for 41 cents. Basically I stick it in a flip take a 1 3.5" x 2" reciepe card thickness bend it over the flip and stick a stamp on it.

I used to use stamps.com but they are a complete rip-off and worse than AOL when trying to cancel their service.

Why I use USPS:

Free Pickup for Priority and Express Mail
Flat Rate Envelope and Boxes are Free to order from them
USPS Click N Ship is super easy
PayPal Click N Ship is super easyWhat I don't like about USPS:
You need to go to the Post Office if you want to insure more than $500.00
You can't click n ship first class or media parcel mailSometimes I use my FedEx account for Super Saver shipping..

For the last 4 weeks I've been working with a product designer buddy of mine and the local post office in designing a coin mailer that would protect the coin, allow it to be machinable by USPS (Read: that reduces the cost of shipping).

Shingpumps
12-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Good question..

For the last 4 weeks I've been working with a product designer buddy of mine and the local post office in designing a coin mailer that would protect the coin, allow it to be machinable by USPS (Read: that reduces the cost of shipping).

Now that's a good idea.

Pat
12-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Now that's a good idea.

Well I just kept thinking for single coins especially cents there has to be a better way to ship.. I mean i've sold $2.00 lincolns on ebay via paypal and after it's all said and done I make like $0.65 with the fees.. I think I will go to personal check for single lincolns under $10 or something like that..

Shingpumps
12-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Well I just kept thinking for single coins especially cents there has to be a better way to ship.. I mean i've sold $2.00 lincolns on ebay via paypal and after it's all said and done I make like $0.65 with the fees.. I think I will go to personal check for single lincolns under $10 or something like that..

That is true.