PDA

View Full Version : 21 months ago.... A dream was hatched

atarian
12-05-2011, 08:41 PM
And now its at the end of the dream. First 2 copies of the book printed. One is for Washington DC ( being mailed Tuesday ) and one is my final proof reading copy to make any last corrections. This really does look like it will finally happen. Here's a few pictures of the final products with the binding.

Front cover.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r221/atari83/FrontCover.jpg

Intro shot.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r221/atari83/Intro.jpg

4 picture format.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r221/atari83/4shotCoins.jpg

Single picture format.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r221/atari83/singlePics.jpg

The Washington copy with the Editor's copy.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r221/atari83/BothCopies.jpg

DoubleYou
12-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Nice! Seriously, is that in full color! That must be an expensive book if it is!

atarian
12-05-2011, 08:45 PM
A very BIG thank you to all those who have donated coins to the cause and for all those who have given me encouragement and support throughout the process. This is a book that even Tiggar ( my late cat whos the dedication page) would have been proud of. He was there when i started this book. I cant thank everyone here enough and express how much it meant to me to be there during the way. I hope i didnt complain too much or post too much about this.

atarian
12-05-2011, 08:46 PM
My editor's copy is full color. The DC copy is B/W. I figure if im gonna have my own working copy it be nice to have it in color where i can see more.

coinman2009
12-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Looks AWESOME, Many Congrats!:O

jallengomez
12-05-2011, 08:47 PM
That's awesome Jay! Congrats. So when do they hit the shelves?

atarian
12-05-2011, 08:53 PM
copyright should be in the works this week. I bought a book on publishing so i need to figure that out. I need to read up on that. Sounds like i need a POD to get an ISBN number and i have to buy a group of 10. for $250 1 ISBN for each book title. which will allow me to do 10 different editions. Another book says its 195 per author not by title. So i dont know which one is right. I might just contact a publisher about that. Also reading up on agents and publishers. Ebooking and all. Just weighing the idea of going big publishers, independent publishers, or self publish. Gonna take more reading on the subject. If i go self publish it could be $250 for the ISBN, another for a barcode for scanning at book stores + CD = ready to take orders. Sounds easier than it probably is but well see how that goes. Then again they said you couldnt do this using microsoft publisher either and they were wrong.

jallengomez
12-05-2011, 08:57 PM
BTW Jay, I've started saving die cracks to send you. I figure I'll send them a roll at a time. After all, I'm sure there will be future additions of the book. :eclipsee_gold_cup:

atarian
12-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Jail,

Sounds good. I do appreciate all those who do that to help.

copperlover
12-05-2011, 09:26 PM
Job one is well done. You may try self publishing but they offer all bells and whistles so you will have to omit what you will be able to do for yourself. You will have to get the proof reading done and the cover graphics selected before finally publishing.
How will you be marketing the book. What's the game plan for this? Glad to see the manuscript done. You may check with Iuniverse who published a book for us. They have a website and have different packages. Don't fall too much for the sales pitch just ask only for what's needed. Good luck Jay.

Lucien

atarian
12-05-2011, 09:42 PM
J
How will you be marketing the book. What's the game plan for this?

Lucien

This I dont know yet. I am back to building a webpage again. I think that would be easy for me and best home base for sales. Message boards like this and CU on the BTS might be an easy way to locate coin people who most likely would be into this kinda book. Coin sites like this house the best chances for success. My other option is EBay BUT i know some buyers are gonna buy to manipulate it for their own gains quoting it from my guide book to hype up their coins. ( which one aspect might help sell coins and bring people into my nitche.) BUT i dont like it used for that. I cant control this i know but there was a very good smart reason why my book omits pricing of any kind. Once i accept some people will use it for their own gains I think ebay also will be a good place to sell the book too. E book could be good way to go too.

copperlover
12-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Why don't you do a book launch by starting with your local market first then expand your promotion to nearby states and then go national. You may affiliate yourself to much larger organizations as you expand your market. That way you will limit any mistakes or make corrections as you go. You need great reviews to be included in your marketing plan. Have reviews done by both pros as well as regular collectors. Let me know what you think.

Lucien

atarian
12-05-2011, 10:24 PM
Thats not a bad idea. maybe at a local coin show. where people can look at and purchase the book and if it takes off from there go from there. Soon as i get reviews i can add them to it. I honestly wouldnt mind a negitive review cause if i get one i can learn from it too. ( plus being realistic not everyone will like everything). I think 2 message boards and local coin shows would be a good start. but at a show or flea market dont u need a tax id number and all?

kingofcoins
12-05-2011, 11:22 PM
many of you collect varieties errors laminations wrong mint mark over mint marks and there are the others that go back to the bank because of not meeting our standards well everyone elses the more i get the more i keep this is my 200th post here is my plan you but those junk wheats in an evelope send them to me and i say thank you as im writing a generous donation book and giving the proceeds to charity heres how i wish it to work coins you might throw back for whatever reason if its a wheat ill take it and next xmas a year from now ill match the money in cold hard cash ill be giving cause i plan on doubling the final amount from you and ill have all the wheaties with the stories put in a book this idea will be for the common man to give to the less fortunate it will supply me with the wheats and the stories and it will give me enough incentive to not only match you then double that givving me funds for the book and in turn sales from said book goes to charity i think everyone here and the people we help will also benefit from this ill have the cins the world will have the book and the generosity and each sender gets book credit hows this for a 200th post the reason i think this is good is most times yall myself included second guess yourselves and then the forum either gets it right or gets it wrong but im planning on a book of known things being shown next to peoples finds giving folks a third shot at it

RWBILLER
12-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Congrats what a wonderfull accomplishment !!!
Roger

twoyankees
12-06-2011, 12:56 AM
The Book looks awesome. You should be so proud of what you have done. Great to finally see it. Reserve me a copy.(please). :tinysmile_classes_t Tom

Rollem
12-06-2011, 04:25 AM
WoW! Looks great and a condensed exampled of a ton of work and time. = Congratulations Jay.

Rollem
12-06-2011, 04:27 AM
5 5
^ ^ ^ ^
_________

Sorry forgot the High Fives!

busyeye
12-06-2011, 04:56 AM
Awesome accomplishment! Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing great results. Looking forward to reading/viewing some day.

jfines69
12-06-2011, 05:08 AM
That is awesome Jason... I can't wait untill it comes out... If it does good in B/W maybe you could do a full color version... Congrats on a job well done!!!

Maineman750
12-06-2011, 05:12 AM
Nice accomplishment Jay ! And yes I would check into a tax ID because uncle sam has been cracking down very hard the last few years...they appear at flea markets and such on a pretty regular basis.

corroded
12-06-2011, 05:15 AM
A beautiful job indeed. Labor of Love for sure. Will fit into
everyone's coin book library

Bill

copperlover
12-06-2011, 05:37 AM
Jay I'll support you by asking you to reserve a copy for me once it is published. What I see friends doing is having a reserve a date to have a pre-launch book release by inviting all the people they know and have them bring a few friends. The one I know of was done at a parish center. This is very cost-effective and gives you much more freedom to plan what you want to do. You can send the invitations by e-mail and have an RSVP. For my wife's book launch I cooked and served some really good food. A lot of people showed up as she sent out an RSVP to all. Hope you can use the pre-launch idea. Start promoting the book before the launch so you have an idea of what type of responses you will get.

Lucien

kloccwork419
12-06-2011, 05:43 AM
Nice..looks well thought out and to the point..

cimperialis
12-06-2011, 05:43 AM
The book looks beautiful. Well formatted, looks easy to use. It sure looks like a rewarding end product.

lara4228
12-06-2011, 06:17 AM
Jay, please reserve a copy for me to. I will also try to see if the school will purchase one for our Coin Club.

Congratulations and great job! I've always dreamed of writing my own book and collection of pieces I've done over the years. But I've put it off because I would get tired just thinking of the task!

BTW, your book has inspired my family that anything is possible when you put your mind and time into it. We have discussed the success of your dream. I'm proud of you.

Lara

sonyaonya
12-06-2011, 06:34 AM
Congratulations Jay. May the dust never settle upon this resource or any of it's future editions.

atarian
12-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Ron Shock ( the comedian ) once said at a show "when i started in comedy I didnt know how to write a joke. Then I picked up the paper the jokes are in there every day." That applies to coins When you dont know how to start on writing a coin book get a box of coins at the bank the book material is in the box. That and with great support from members here makes the process glide free. My only wish was that some areas were bigger. but over time they will be. Just gotta do some shopping around for cuds clips and other interesting areas. Chips is the main idea of my book and in that area I surely did not disappoint myself. What I figured would be only 100 total really grew and blew that out of the water.

Once I get an ISBN number and either a publisher/self pub. , tax ID, and an account for the funds i get from the book and the final proof reading of the book. I will be ready for sales. Ill see how that goes. I think im still on track from my original idea. Book is basically done by the end of DEC. and early 2012 itll be ready. I think thats what i said from the start a 2012 release. and somehow ive done that without major setbacks. Been lucky so far.

lara4228
12-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Just curious, what is the estimated final cost to publish your book?

Centsational
12-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Outstandinbg book and alot of dedication. Congratulations, keep up the great work.

Best wishes and HH

atarian
12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Lara that's the issue I'm running into. CDs are the cheapest way to produce this as PDFs black and white can be done but close to cost with an acceptable cover price. Color like my editing copy is way high for the average Joe to spend. And this the cd idea looking into othe ways to go about it

lara4228
12-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Sorry for asking such a question. I'm asking because I'm lost with the making of a book, yet it interests me.

atarian
12-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Nah it's an important question just gonna be relitive to which ave I go down. Time will tell

RWBILLER
12-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Hi
You also have to be honest with yourself to predict how many people will buy it. That certainly will influence on how many copies you order from publisher. I had done a very in-depth trietise on joeseph Stalin and his influence on murdering a party boss in Moscow called Kirov. My professors, etc told me I should publish it. It sounded really cool, I too spent 2 years putting together the references etc., (that's the biggest thing when writing about history), and thought it would be cool to publish something. Well, when we figured the costs and 1000 minimum print - I would have had to charge over $50.00 a copy! I don't think you will have this problem - in fact you may be surprised to find that your demand will exceed your first printing - I certainly hope so and I know I will want s copy also. I believe the error collector is on the rise - you don't need to be in the 1 percent to put a collection together.
Just wow - you must be in another world right now - wow!!
Roger

liveandievarieties
12-06-2011, 06:07 PM
You know Jay- Roger makes a great point. When I first heard of your project, I'll admit, I was a bit skeptical. But it's been impressive seeing you proceed and now have a finished project.
What I've not considered until now is that with the current economy, "thrifty" and "frugal" are hot (I always just thought it was common sense). Anyway- your book may be coming out at the time of a perfect storm. It's not impossible to believe that a really well done reference on coins that are easily attainable and cary only small premiums could create a whole new breed of collector. Just think of all of those wheat bags that've been searched first for key dates, then again for unc cents, then again for die varieties....now may have new appeal in pursuit of the coins in your reference.

Congratulations my friend, I hope that your endeavor is an incredible success. Count me in for a copy when they become available too. But I want mine personally signed by the author.

DoubleYou
12-06-2011, 07:07 PM
I really think that an ebook would be to both our and your mutual advantage. For one thing, an ebook costs way less to produce. CDs cost less then $1 apiece. Also, you could have it in full color, and being PDFs, it would be a searchable book. Just open find with Ctrl+F and type the year and wha-la! There are advantages to it being in print, however, as well. For instance, the fact that its a physical book gives it more weight and value. Also, you won't have to open your computer to find out what you want to know. But I certainly like the ebook idea, especially since Microsoft Publisher exports to PDF very well (I have Microsoft Publisher and Acrobat Pro).

atarian
12-06-2011, 08:20 PM
As a first release that might be best. I could also do a no frills pocket size edition omitting pictures and just text data for the book. But i dont know how well that would go over.

lara4228
12-06-2011, 08:23 PM
NO! Don't omit the pictures! You worked so hard getting all your specimens for this book. That's like have a peanut butter sandwich without the peanut butter :squigglemouth:

copperlover
12-06-2011, 09:22 PM
An ebook is a good additional outlet but let the real book be the main focus. Printing costs are high especially with a lot of color involved. You have to be really careful with costs. Have you got any estimates of the charges involved yet? You will need a list of all items for the production of the book so you can plan where your breakeven point will be.

Lucien

RWBILLER
12-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Hi
Talk with the publisher - they know best. It will all work out. It's all right to plan for the future but don't project now what the future will be. You have a few items now and questions that will keep you busy until the new year. All will work out just fine. Remember the hard part is over you wrote a book!!!!
Roger