PDA

View Full Version : 1987 d/d mm

Centsational
12-07-2011, 01:58 AM
Found this yesterday and thought it may be a 1987D-1MM-016, however, there are or seem to be some differences.
At least to my eye, please take a look and see what you all think.
thank you and HH

Howie:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Maineman750
12-07-2011, 02:25 AM
I see the split on the lower serif, but I don't think this is 016.I couldn't find a match,but there are a bunch without pics on CC

Centsational
12-07-2011, 03:53 AM
Thank's Maineman, i don't think it is a 016 either really, i just didn't match up i'm hoping somebody here will be able to pinpoint it, hopefully?

Thank You again.

Best wishes and HH
Howie:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Maineman750
12-07-2011, 04:22 AM
Howie, I usually just save the tougher ones and send to Mustbebob for attribution when I get a few.

Centsational
12-07-2011, 05:15 AM
Thank's Maineman, do you think this is possibly a new one? i don't know what to make of it. If it is that would be really cool, and the first for me too! I have Collected or hoarded several thousands of lincolns over the years since about 1964, and i do not really know what to do with the errors and varietys. I think it may be best to have them attributed and then they would be registered and attributed. i think i will wait and see what some of the members see on don't see on this coin.

I have much to learn, and here seems like the very best place to find out and ask questions.

By the way what are the very best books available for these varietys, i have studied the errors very well and own many different, but have much to learn about the correct nomenclature on all the varietys. I need much more information, so i will get up to speed on all of the new things and the correct terms too.

thank's for patience,

Thank you for your advice and HH

Howie:LOL_Hair:

Maineman750
12-07-2011, 05:29 AM
Yes,good idea to see what anybody else sees.
As for varieties and nomenclature...try this site...there is good info in the Lincoln Cents for beginners forum, but also much info on the non forum part of this site. I don't remember and specific titles right now except coppercoins "Looking through Lincoln Cents".I'm sure some others will pipe in with more titles when they read this.My memory is bad sometimes and I'm actually working at the moment:tinysmile_hmm_t:

DoubleYou
12-07-2011, 03:20 PM
The mintmark is a little too far to the right to be 1MM-016 I think. I'm not sure if it is a RPM or not from the pictures.

jfines69
12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
To me it looks more like some MD and split plating!!!

Centsational
12-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Well i am hoping it is at least it is a rpm i thought it was when i looked at through my scope at about 180x, still not sure, i love to hear from the rest of the seasoned collectors here.

Thank you all for the replys and HH

Howie

RWBILLER
12-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Hi
See that all the time with 87-89's. It's A plating issue not a rpm. I had even sent one to bob once.
Roger

Maineman750
12-07-2011, 04:49 PM
Just wanted to point out that I was ignoring the plating issue on the south. I'm focusing on the bottom serif which appears to have a split similar to but not exactly like #016.

eaxtellcoin
12-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Howie that could also be damage to the lower serif. Focus in as best you can on that area and give us a bit better see.
Eric

Centsational
12-09-2011, 02:11 AM
Eric thank you for taking a look. Took some better pics with different lighting and angles to look at it, seems it may help. i am hopeful this may work out.Sorry it took so long fo me to get the new pics posted.

Thank's again & HH:)

Howie

DoubleYou
12-09-2011, 07:03 AM
By that second shot, it looks like a small hit on the bottom serif.

Maineman750
12-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Agree with Wendell..the 2nd shot really changed things.

eaxtellcoin
12-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Howie - your pics are very good, be proud of that! This coin is very tough in a guess, I would put it in a stack and send it along with a few other coins for Bob's opinion. My guess is that is metal buildup from whats happened to the southeast or in other words a plating issue.

Centsational
12-09-2011, 11:51 PM
eaxtellcoin, thank you for your post and the advise, sounds great, i will save up a few more and send them in for a look see to Bob.

Thank's again and HH

Howie

coppercoins
12-10-2011, 05:06 AM
I believe this could be a minor repunched mintmark, but I also believe it is probably too minor to list.

Centsational
12-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Thank you Charles for taking the time to look at the coin, i feel good that it is even a minor.I will keep up the search.

Thank you again, and thank you for your sharing your OUTSTANDING web site and VAST experience as well.

Best Wishes and HH.

Howard